Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Regulation on Bringing Copper(II) Sulfate Root Killer on Planes?
Deathunter88
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-7-2015 at 21:23
Regulation on Bringing Copper(II) Sulfate Root Killer on Planes?

So I am visiting the US for a couple weeks and I plan to use this as an opportunity to purchase some chemicals not easily available in China. One of them is Zep brand root killer, which is 99.0% copper sulfate. I am wondering if I would get in trouble by putting it in my checked luggage. I am first flying from Nevada to San Francisco, then from San Francisco to Beijing, China. I have checked the TSA website and it states that chemicals that are: Explosives, Gases, Flammable Liquids and Solids, Oxidizers, Toxic and Infectious Materials, Radioactive Materials, Corrosives cannot be brought onboard a plane. As most of you probably know, copper sulfate is not particularly toxic nor is it very toxic, so I think I should be fine.
I am however contemplating about changing it out of the original containing because the container in large red text states ROOT KILL, and in small text on the back: CORROSIVE: causes irreversible eye damage. May be fatal if swallowed. Harmful if absorbed through the skin. And also: This pesticide is toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates and may may contaminate water though runoff. This would be bad for a security checker that is not good at chemistry to see right?

So this boils down to two questions;
Am I allowed to bring copper sulfate onto an international flight? (I'm assuming yes.)
and
Should I change the container to say a plastic bag that just states: Copper(II) Sulfate? Or would that do more harm than good because then they would know I am specifically bringing it onboard as a "chemical"?

Thanks in advance.
kecskesajt
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 00:55

You should't bring Gallium because it is corrosive for Al.And CuSO4 is corrosive for Al too.
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 11:23

Quote: Originally posted by kecskesajt  
You should't bring Gallium because it is corrosive for Al.And CuSO4 is corrosive for Al too.

Well, copper sulfate is not as corrosive for aluminium as gallium. And also, solid copper sulfate does not react at an appreciable rate with aluminium.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 12:33

Cover the original container in bubble wrap, then double bag it in thick polythene bags.

It will not pose much of a hazard to anybody or anything if packaged well and in your luggage.

Certainly less of a hazard than an insane pilot.

Transporting easily made chemicals is silly - just make some.

smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 13:21

It's gonna look awful weird on the x-ray. Why not just mail it back home? I doubt anyone at customs would give two craps about gallium or copper sulfate. Especially in China. Could be wrong though.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 13:29

Quote: Originally posted by smaerd  
II doubt anyone at customs would give two craps about gallium or copper sulfate. Especially in China.

I can imagine the Chinese Customs Officials when they found it :-

"Computer says we sent this batch to the USA last year."
"Why is it coming back ? Is it bad ?"

(Gallium especially)

annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 09:15

Personally I'd repackage the copper sulfate in a bottle with a label that says "Root killer, contains copper sulfate", so it wouldn't have the original, dreadful warning label on it. If you feel really guilty about that, you could add a printout of the MSDS from somewhere. The worst that could happen is that they would confiscate it at the airport. Or else I'd mail everything.

Warning labels are usually exaggerated, in my experience. I have a bottle of sodium chloride from Sargent-Welch, which says, in case of contact with skin flush with water for 15 minutes and contact poison control immediately. Obviously they looked over the chemicals they were selling, wrote out a warning label for the worst of them, and then decided to put the same label on all the chemicals. Don't have to worry about getting sued that way, you know.

One of the ways the warnings are exaggerated is that they apply to industrial situations, where one might have skin contact or breathe the dust of some chemical over a long period of time, or they give the consequences of consuming huge amounts of the chemical, things that are unlikely to happen to occasional users (including home chemists). The typical MSDS has the same problem. For example, I believe it will kill you if you eat a kilogram of sodium chloride, so should we put dreadful warnings on every salt shaker?

Any other SF Bay chemists?
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 10:00

Quote: Originally posted by annaandherdad  
Personally I'd repackage the copper sulfate in a bottle with a label that says "Root killer, contains copper sulfate", so it wouldn't have the original, dreadful warning label on it. If you feel really guilty about that, you could add a printout of the MSDS from somewhere. The worst that could happen is that they would confiscate it at the airport. Or else I'd mail everything.

Warning labels are usually exaggerated, in my experience. I have a bottle of sodium chloride from Sargent-Welch, which says, in case of contact with skin flush with water for 15 minutes and contact poison control immediately. Obviously they looked over the chemicals they were selling, wrote out a warning label for the worst of them, and then decided to put the same label on all the chemicals. Don't have to worry about getting sued that way, you know.

One of the ways the warnings are exaggerated is that they apply to industrial situations, where one might have skin contact or breathe the dust of some chemical over a long period of time, or they give the consequences of consuming huge amounts of the chemical, things that are unlikely to happen to occasional users (including home chemists). The typical MSDS has the same problem. For example, I believe it will kill you if you eat a kilogram of sodium chloride, so should we put dreadful warnings on every salt shaker?

Good idea, I might even change the name to Algae Growth Control-Contains Copper Sulfate. I feel like Algae Growth Control sounds better than Root Killer. Another possible name would be Rice Crop Nutrient

Go To Top