Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Detection and Identification of Radioactive Materials
gammainspector
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-8-2015 at 19:22

Quote: Originally posted by Camroc37  
Can I have a quote on testing my Trinitite? I want to know where from the blast it came from. I have seen an article on this being done. I want all the tests and documents mailed back with the Trinitite. I don't have a ton of money, but U2U me a quote.

I would talk with Neptunium, he has all of the equipment necessary to generate a spectra and can identify the peaks for you.

Unfortunately I am very tied up with a few big projects and an upcoming trip so I will be wrapped up for at least a few months.
wolfeski
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-8-2015 at 18:25

Awesome. I recognize a lot of those instruments from the Mössbauer lab I work in as an undergrad, but never thought to ask about them.
gammainspector
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 02:12

Quote: Originally posted by wolfeski  
Awesome. I recognize a lot of those instruments from the Mössbauer lab I work in as an undergrad, but never thought to ask about them.

That's got to be a fun job. What's your area of focus?
gammainspector
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-9-2015 at 12:41

The weary traveler has returned from Chernobyl, and I only set off a few portal monitors in the Kiev airport during my return.

The trip was amazing and we were granted unprecedented access. I have thousands (ok 9,237 to be exact) of photos to go through still.

It's good to be back home in my own lab, but I can't wait to go back.
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 17-9-2015 at 08:14

Quote: Originally posted by gammainspector  
The weary traveler has returned from Chernobyl, and I only set off a few portal monitors in the Kiev airport during my return.

The trip was amazing and we were granted unprecedented access. I have thousands (ok 9,237 to be exact) of photos to go through still.

Did you get some pics of Pripyat amusement park? I've always been fascinated with how eerie that ferris wheel is.
gammainspector
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-9-2015 at 11:19

Quote: Originally posted by Detonationology  
Quote: Originally posted by gammainspector  

Did you get some pics of Pripyat amusement park? I've always been fascinated with how eerie that ferris wheel is.

I do have a few, we were only in Pripyat for 1 day, most of our time was spent on-site at the nuclear power plant. Additionally, most of the time we were in Pripyat I was running around finding hotspots. I brought a 1x1.5 NaI probe with a Ludlum Model 2350 and got up to 4 million CPM without maxing out the meter. In fact with the 2350, since it is a digital display I think I would saturate the probe before I maxed out the meter's ability to sum.
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-9-2015 at 18:38

wow ! even after 29 years ! i cant wait to see what it is! lots of radio isotopes decay to nothing after 10 years or less...

Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 17-9-2015 at 18:56

137-Cs (really 137m-Ba)...in everything. 662 keV. You might find something special with some longer lived nuclides, Eu, for example, and maybe some transuranics (particularly 241-Am)...but, those finds are rare, and tend to not be related with reactor ejecta, per se. Most hot particles seem to be moderator graphite, not fuel bits.

Still, I'm intrigued by the area and the idea. It looks like so much fun!

Cheers,

O3

[Edited on 18-9-2015 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
gammainspector
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-9-2015 at 03:58

Quote: Originally posted by Ozone  
137-Cs (really 137m-Ba)...in everything. 662 keV. You might find something special with some longer lived nuclides, Eu, for example, and maybe some transuranics (particularly 241-Am)...but, those finds are rare, and tend to not be related with reactor ejecta, per se. Most hot particles seem to be moderator graphite, not fuel bits.

Still, I'm intrigued by the area and the idea. It looks like so much fun!

Cheers,

O3

[Edited on 18-9-2015 by Ozone]

You hit the nail(s) on the head.

Primary contributing isotope is Cs137 measured by 661.65 daughter decay

Also present Eu and Am in much smaller concentrations

Those three were detectable within 10 seconds of spectra collection, I'm going to leave the sample down for a few hours to see what else may appear.

Later this week I will be sending the sample to one of the labs I contract work to and it will be analyzed by HPGe.
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-3-2023 at 14:28

I recently analyzed (again) my digested sample of Trinitite for trans uranium element ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvQZr88KDJ8

If you want to go straight to results here is what i picked up:
248Cm: 2ppb
249Cf: 0.2ppb
250Cm: 20ppt
251Cf: trace
246Cm: trace
247Cm/Bk: trace

ppb: part per billion
ppt: part per trillion
ppq: part per quadrillion
the "trace" indicate a signal high enough above noise but hard to quantify due to high RSD, but probably in the low ppt to high ppq range.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top