Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Effects of gastric acid on raw meat
nlvince
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-9-2015 at 12:01
Effects of gastric acid on raw meat

Hello,

I made this video about the effects of a 0.1M HCl in water concentration on raw meat.

The reason I did this is because I was just curious on what would happen to the meat when it comes into contact with the acid. The acid concentration I used is in the lowest range observed in the stomach (between pH 1-2)

A little about myself, I study New drug design and synthesis in Amsterdam. First year master student.

The experiment doesn't involve enzymes as I didn't have them at my disposal. But I ordered them today and am very curious for the results.

Any comment and recommendations are highly appreciated.

Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/jdNmtliH89A
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 21-9-2015 at 12:21

Measure the Fat.

Measure everything for that matter.

Try a chloroform/methanol extraction to see how much fat you got.

Meat from supermarkets is treated with CO at least and generally other agents to make it look 'fresh', so the Colour is not such a good indicator.

(Raw meat tends to have different shades of colour and in a supermarket they are all the same.)

Likely that the human stomach enzymes need an acidic medium to work their wonders, and the HCl is likely doing several jobs at once - Nature seldom wastes any opportunity.

Definitely measure everything you can - that makes it more like Science and not just pork mince in a beaker of HCl.

If you discover where the Carrot Cubes come from when young people add dilute ethanol, you'll win the Nobel.

[Edited on 21-9-2015 by aga]

[Edited on 21-9-2015 by aga]

nlvince
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-9-2015 at 12:40

For the next experiment I'll use a temperature sensor connected to a hot plate to imitate body temperature. Otherwise the enzymes won't do much I'm afraid.

I also have an apparatus for measuring the dry substance content. I'll include that as well.
When dry make it a fine powder and extract to measure the fat content.

Great idea, thanks!
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 21-9-2015 at 13:09

Measure the wet weight, dry weight, weight of the fats : every weight you can.

Tempertature control will be important when you add the enzumes as the Range is quite low in a human stomach.

I vaguely reacall that some work was successful making a Cow stomach-like apparatus at Sheffield Hallam University many years ago.

nlvince
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-9-2015 at 13:55

I was thinking of using a large Pyrex crystallization cup and fill it with mineral oil, the oil has a far better buffering capacity.
Placing the beaker in the oil. And the oil temperature is measured and controlled with the sensor.

As for the contraction simulation I'll first have to do with a stir bar.

Go To Top