Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can't find CAS-Number of magnesium styphnate
Mephisto
Chemicus Diabolicus

Mood: swinging

[*] posted on 18-4-2003 at 01:20
Can't find CAS-Number of magnesium styphnate

I can't find the CAS-Number of magnesium styphnate / magnesium trinitroresorcinate. I searched with chemfinder, google and in the Merck Index, but without any result. Maybe someone can help me.

Mephisto
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 18-4-2003 at 04:00

Maybe there is none. If it´s not a good of trade or other value or to instable for example this is possible.
Mephisto
Chemicus Diabolicus

[*] posted on 18-4-2003 at 10:03

Also chemicals with no usage have CAS-numbers. Magnesium styphnate is a precursor for the synthesis of lead styphnate, so it is or was produced in industrial quantities and it isn’t more unstable than lead styphnate, which has a CAS-number.
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 19-4-2003 at 08:36

this chemical seems to exist solely on pages covering homemade explosives as precursor for lead styphnate.
And don´t shout at me.
Mephisto
Chemicus Diabolicus

[*] posted on 19-4-2003 at 14:22

A chemical, which is known so long must have a CAS-Number. The CA-Service should have an open online-database to search for chemical attributes or at least the CAS-numbers.

Organikum: I never shout at you.
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 21-4-2003 at 23:37

A compound named hydroxyphenylacetone, quite stable and a important intermediate for industrial ephedrine production, known since 1921 (Neubert/Hirsch) has no CAS number. Or stop - perhaps it has, as one time I found a CAS Nr. named, but never could verify if this was right.
A search using this number brought up nothing more as the publication where the number was named.
Shit.
What I want to say and I don´t want this look like teacherism please, please, is that a CAS number is worth nothing if it is not used. This happens to compounds the world of chemistry wants to stay in the shadow - most for their possible use in drug or explosives manufacturing.
If you want information on the compound my tip:
Search synonyms. Old names, other names from the big pot babylonistic confusion chemistry (at least organic) is made of. And never think the names used must be right! Nono, chemists are not so nitpicking, a atom here or there who minds, a isomere is close enough. Important is they know whats meant. Or at least they can make it lookalike....

Patents are useful. For finding other cieted patents with new names for to search again........

The day the quantum computers work - realy work, the whole pseudomagic will be blown through the exhaust of history. Not without a good laugh on the incredible frauds which have taken place of course....

for all the rant I forgot:
if it´s an organic compound or used in org. chemistry - find someone with Beilstein-Crossfire access (now named STN ?)- and who is able to use it.

[Edited on 22-4-2003 by Organikum]
Mephisto
Chemicus Diabolicus

[*] posted on 22-4-2003 at 08:04

Thanks for you help Organikum. I need the CAS-number for a little project on which I worked with someone (I didn’t know, if he wants to remain anonymously). It’s a German collection of synthesis, but I can’t tell more until it isn’t finished. And because of the quantity of synonyms and old names, we use the CAS-numbers to find the same chemicals everywhere in our text.

Isn’t really nobody here, who has access to Beilstein-Crossfire or CAS-Online; maybe at university?

Go To Top