Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: youtube
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-12-2015 at 09:40

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
It would be great if you could give a source for that info, considering I have lots of both.

EDIT: I2 and P, that is. Not the ergotamine.

[Edited on 21-12-2015 by Praxichys]

It does depend on when you obtained them... a high school that has stocks of red phosphorus and iodine from the 1970s obviously doesn't have to worry about the DEA sending in a SWAT team to incapacitate the teacher and arrest the entire chemistry class. So not all red phosophorus and iodine is illegal (for that matter, not all ergotamine tartrate is illegal either, but very few people have old stocks of it). There are lots of crazy, notorious chemists on YouTube working with both, though, and the DEA doesn't really care - it also doesn't really care about the people who are selling it within the U.S. out in plain sight on the Internet (because the bans on red phosphorus and iodine are stupid), but it can arrest those people at any time.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 22-12-2015 at 09:57

Quote: Originally posted by User123  
Those are some useful videos. [...] I didn't expect to see a ketene lamp on there. Nice work, Sir!
Thank you!
Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
There are lots of crazy, notorious chemists on YouTube
:cool:

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 30-12-2015 at 14:46

Indeed, Praxichys and Explosions&Fire are some of the best channels on youtube. MrHomeScientist used to be, but doesn't use it much any more.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 18-7-2016 at 11:28
Texium

I give you my new YouTube channel, Texium! I uploaded my first public video demonstrating the synthesis of phosphorus tribromide just a few minutes ago. I know it leaves a lot to be desired in the editing and voiceover departments, but I think it turned out alright.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 18-7-2016 at 14:44

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I give you my new YouTube channel, Texium! I uploaded my first public video demonstrating the synthesis of phosphorus tribromide just a few minutes ago. I know it leaves a lot to be desired in the editing and voiceover departments, but I think it turned out alright.

Subscribed.
I'll watch the video later.
Congratulations on what I hope is the first of many great vids. :)

chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-7-2016 at 06:53

Congratulations. Any comments we will post into the video comments, but it's a great job!

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-7-2016 at 09:50

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  

Also MrHomeScientist. The SM user's active, his channel is not.

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
Indeed, Praxichys and Explosions&Fire are some of the best channels on youtube. MrHomeScientist used to be, but doesn't use it much any more.

Hey now, calm down over there. Just because I don't post videos every other day doesn't mean I'm inactive. I just posted one on July 4th, and another 2 days ago!
I post things when I can, and greatly prefer quality over quantity. I have no plans whatsoever to stop making videos.

Edit: Just noticed TVC's comments were posted 7 months ago... Whoops :P Well I'm still around!

[Edited on 7-19-2016 by MrHomeScientist]
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 20-7-2016 at 07:08

My second video is out now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOo1XMesdS0
I begin to work on purifying some impure lanthanum oxide. I don't get very far, but it will be continued in another video one day.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 20-7-2016 at 14:40

Fantastic. Another one to watch.
Lanthanum was the tipping point for me signing up here. I still have a bottle of OTC LaCl3 solution that I have not crystallised yet. That might have to get bumped up the list of priorities.

chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-7-2016 at 17:15

Great work again.

One technical cinematographic comment - in a couple of places you bring something closer to the camera in order to show it in more detail (the funnel, the lanthanide carbonate at the end). What happens though is that the object gets out of focus. It would be really nice to see that final dry powder clearly!

Borrowing a bit of photographic technique, you've got two filming options here that you could try out:

1. Move the camera down so it's not looking 'down' so much, and the lens pointing more horizontally towards the dish. Then when you lift the spatula out of the dish with the powder, relatively speaking it will be about the same distance from the lens - and still in focus.
2. Use a higher f/ number aperture setting on the camera which will result in a larger depth of field and hence objects over a range of distances from the lens all being in focus. You'll need strong lighting to do this though.

Very happy that more channels are popping up!

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 22-7-2016 at 12:16

Nice video zts16!

Yes, nice to see you active again, The Home Scientist. I'm not much of an element collector, so I guess I'm not as interested in your more specific content nowadays, but that's just my personal opinion, and the videos you make are most certainly quality.

Mabus
Wiki Master

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 31-7-2016 at 04:50

While not amateur chemistry, the Primitive technology channel has some pretty cool stuff on it.
I particularly like the way he made charcoal and a forge blower with practically nothing but stuff you find in the forest.
He even made some slag from clay in the latter.

Fidelmios
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-11-2016 at 23:01

Hey all,

I come and go from here all the time, but am currently starting up my own chemistry channel. I've only been doing this around 6 months, and am still working on the fundamentals. Regardless, this is my channel's video list https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPAOgLEIfE7xqBhiwkr85bA/vid...

I'de love any feedback, or if you just wanna tell me I'm an idiot I love to hear back from people!

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 23-11-2016 at 13:45

Watched the one about re-gassing flat fizzy drinks earlier today.

The starting sequence was mildly amusing despite being unrelated to anything at all, and legally belonging to it's producers.

Most people would have stopped watching much earlier.

After that there was some gibber-jabber about the 'producers' not allowing something, at which point i wondered why i was wasting my time, so stopped.

Plus points: your voice sounds good and the video quality is ok.

I'll watch another random selection and let you know.

Edit :

Just watched the "Make Beautiful Purple Crystals at Home!" video and kind of the same story: too much time spent in self-indulgent, over-long scenes.

To Improve the videos (i only watched two) you need to focus more on what the Watcher wants to See rather than what you want to Show.

Utoob videos are basically a Show.

Either you deliver what people want to See or the video is completely ignored.

Attention spans are Very short these days, so you simply must keep it brief and to the point, or the audience quickly gets bored and navigates away.

The Bottom Line is that utoob videos are only about You if you make them appealing to Them (i.e. the audience)

[Edited on 23-11-2016 by aga]

Fidelmios
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-11-2016 at 16:33

Thanks aga,

I am still trying to get a feel for how I want to shape my channel, and what direction I want to take it. I bought a tripod, and have been reshooting experiments just to give it a more professional feel. However, that is neither here, nor there, the feedback you've given is invaluable, and I thank you for it. It is my hope that later on down the road I will be able to make something that is educational, and entertaining.

EDIT:
Aga, if I could press you to viewthis one video that I feel embodies my channel the best. Like most of my other content it is very easy to grasp in terms of the science behind it, but this is where I think I would like to take my channel, in terms of content/structure.

[Edited on 24-11-2016 by Fidelmios]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 24-11-2016 at 00:50

OK. Watched it. Certainly an improvement.

Audio/Video quality is good and clear.

It appears to just need a bit of planning & preparation to push it up quite a few notches.

Great Videos are fundamentally interesting stories told well.

Start by writing down what you're presenting, and then
sketch out the scenes you will film to get the 'flow' into some kind of order. Chances are that you'll switch things around in this process.

Introduction -> Action -> Finale is the way of all good stories.

As it is Chemistry, reaction formulae would be good in your intro !

Write yourself a script for each scene to help focus on relevant information/humour and also control the Time each scene will occupy.

A cluttered 'stage' draws the eye away from the 'main characters' so having some kind of clear stage would help.

E.g. Nile Red tends to have a black cloth background which also helps stamp his 'brand' on his videos.

Having pontificated all that, please be aware that i am in no way a professional film maker, cameraman, actor, set designer, script writer nor utoob genius !

Congratulations on making so many videos already !

Clearly it has been a lot of time and effort to get them made/posted.

Fidelmios
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-11-2016 at 09:07

Thank you aga,

To be honest I was a tad worried posting here because I feel that my videos are low quality and the content is lacking in more of a difficulty scale. I felt that I would be shot down for having a juvenile content, however I do feel like this video is the general format for how I want to do the future ones. Thanks again for the help, and I hope you will be able to see an improvement of quality in my work.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 24-11-2016 at 09:51

Your videos are not Bad per-se, just that i feel that there are some improvements you could easily make that would to raise the overall quality.

On this forum, people who put in the Effort (as you have done) tend not to get shot down in flames for their Work, no matter the outcome.

Please post a link here to the next video when you're ready, also some details about how you prepared the 'movie' behind the scenes.

Critique-mode can be turned off simply saying 'I've had enough ! Please stop critqueing now.' ;)

Fidelmios
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-11-2016 at 14:02

Aga, and others who want to see this, I always enjoy critique and am open to all comments. Thanks again guys!
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 24-11-2016 at 14:40

aga is the username/sig : lower case.

it's an exception to the rule if you have to start a sentence with it.

always just aga, never Aga, AGA, aGa, AgA etc.

Fidelmios
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-11-2016 at 14:43

Gotcha aAgAa
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top