Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: trends in chemistry education
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 18-4-2016 at 07:47

lol

1445958122-20151027.png - 149kB
(from Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal)

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-6-2016 at 11:48

Quote: Originally posted by mayko  

lol

(from Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal)

Dunno if its totally safe, dosnt say if the beakers are glass or plastic!
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 23-6-2016 at 11:09

We did some interesting stuff in my AP chem class this last year. probably the only disturbing thing was the prices the teacher had to pay for stuff, and the fact that she didn't realize she could get it much cheaper at the grocery or hardware shop, or make a sufficient amount herself.

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-8-2016 at 06:36

I was lucky to be in school int he early 90ies befor the idiocy of nanny statism crept into the schools, now days they're a joke, I talk to supposed machinists students and get a blank look! No days a machinist is really a typist! with out a CNC they're screwed.

And we wonder why things are going so sodded up! Russia and china will/are the worlds new super powers, and will just get better as we all degrade further!

With out a firm science back bone we go back to the caves! To me science education is more important then even spelling! you can read through most spelling errors!
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-8-2016 at 10:25

I goto a academy (http://www.kirkcudbright.dumgal.sch.uk/), although alot of schools here are becoming academies now. Mine is probaly the closest to being a private school without paying fees you will find.

Sounds arrogant but i dont mean it like that, we are lucky at my school in that its very 'traditional', it also has very very close links with local Rotary club and other charities.

We get alot of support (financial and other) from these sources, so the school while pretty small ~457 pupils is pretty well funded.

Science is taught to the same curriculum as most schools here so not many practicals, but our rector is a physicist and most the year and house heads are science disciplines.

What makes it really good is their attitude to other activities, like the setting up of a lunchtime and after school chemistry club, i dont do chemistry but i am allowed to attend the clubs.

The clubs focus mainly on practicals and are predominately run by a student group with a teacher who overseas and does the risk assessments.

The school pay for the chemicals etc from the funds raised by the Rotary club and parent council. We have alot of after school stuff we can do and the Rector is always open to ideas.

The downside is its an old building and a bit creaky in parts, but i kind of like that, the library isnt as big as some schools but we have access to the county 'learning hub'.

I have a bit of a travel to school but not that far. Its a good school and i like the willingness of the school to encourage and fund out of school activities.

We have a camera club but its mainly film based as the student who set it up is into darkrooms etc, i might join at some point but would prefer DSLR.

They also have a gardening club and business club, the gardening club is a nightmare to get into, its taken me 2 years to get a place! Its probably one of the most popular clubs at the school.

We have a huge greenhouse and large plot of land to grow stuff, its just outside the main grounds of the school and does get the odd vandal! But overall its a great place.

Many of the club members (35), meet up at weekends at the club grounds. Not too sure why its so popular but but it is great fun.
We hold plant sales and can use the money we raise for the club!

I am also a member of the chess club, but the less said about that the better. I like chess but dont think i have ever won a match.

So i dont know about other schools in general but mine is apparently pretty old fashioned (in a good way)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top