Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Elemental Sodium?? I WANT IT!!
HiSkooler
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-10-2006 at 09:59
Elemental Sodium?? I WANT IT!!

So, I'm new to this site, but it looks cool. Ummm, I'm taking Advanced Chemistry at my high school, but its mostly math and formulas, so I am looking to do some at-home experiments.

I've seen videos showing pure, elemental sodium reacting with water, and it looks wicked cool!

I'm wondering, does anyone know how I can get some sodium? I mean, I don't want to buy it, I want to make it, but I am limited to using household items that would not look suspicious in the hands of a teenager....:D

PLEASE help me out if you know anything...
Sergei_Eisenstein
Hazard to Others

Mood: training

[*] posted on 20-10-2006 at 10:13

Are you really taking a course of advanced chemistry?

damnant quod non intelligunt
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 20-10-2006 at 10:15

OK, so you are new to this site, but has the thought of using the search engine before posting ever occurred to you?

PS: Doing something just because "it looks wicked cool" is considered kewlish and is not tolerated very well in this forum. Neither are such thread tittles.

Edit:
Sergei, he probably meant Advanced Chemistry in an USA school. That would explain it.

[Edited on 20-10-2006 by Nicodem]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 20-10-2006 at 10:17

We have learned quite a lot about making sodium on this forum. Read the existing 11 pages on the subject by searching under "hot electrochemical sodium." It is not a trivial preparation amenable to kitchen chemistry, however.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 20-10-2006 at 11:02

I haven't purchased any yet from these ppl, but think I have a source where I can get 6 pounds for around $250.
bereal511
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-10-2006 at 16:33

Uh oh, this isn't one of those over-enthusiastic requests just to do stupid things after watching a block of sodium being thrown into a pond is it? Hmm, I wonder though, since recently my old AP Chemistry teacher just showed her incoming class the sodium metal videos. It's true that high school "Advanced Chemistry" in USA creates many a kewlish students.

If I may ask on this forum, are you from California by any chance HiSkooler?

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
-- Matt Cartmill
Waffles
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-10-2006 at 17:04

Quote:
Originally posted by bereal511
Uh oh, this isn't one of those over-enthusiastic requests just to do stupid things after watching a block of sodium being thrown into a pond is it? Hmm, I wonder though, since recently my old AP Chemistry teacher just showed her incoming class the sodium metal videos. It's true that high school "Advanced Chemistry" in USA creates many a kewlish students.

If I may ask on this forum, are you from California by any chance HiSkooler?

It is precisely because I went to high school in California that I got involved with such shady characters as the regulars of this forum ;). I knew that I loved science, but our classes were so sterilized and neutered that I had no choice but to get the hands-on experience for myself. Although my teacher himself was way way cool, the buzzard lawyers that sit holding the puppet strings of school administrators and science departments in particular have the final word.

\"…\'tis man\'s perdition to be safe, when for the truth he ought to die.\"
bereal511
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-10-2006 at 20:17

Haha, I'm not criticizing the California high school system; I'm a product of such as well. I was just curious because it's possible that I know HiSkooler.

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
-- Matt Cartmill
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 24-10-2006 at 12:11

There's enough info on this forum as how to make sodium. UTFSE.

Closed.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top