Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Explosions in NYC and Jersey Shore
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 08:36

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
As for initiation any half descent cap and a bit of booster will do, or with the aluminium sensitizer a half assed cap will do!

Yup, Tannerite will detonate from a bullet strike. I have a 5 gal bucket of nitrate I picked up from a fertilizer spill but its so damn humid here I'd have to invest in a vacuum desiccator to ever dry it.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 08:46

On arrest, his first words were; "Fuck, I suppose this means Trump's going to stiff me, too"?

zwt
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 08:59

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
As for initiation any half descent cap and a bit of booster will do, or with the aluminium sensitizer a half assed cap will do!
Yup, Tannerite will detonate from a bullet strike.

Yeah, but not from a "Christmas light", or from being hit by a car, even one traveling over 300 mph.
I'm surprised to hear that "a half assed cap will do", but then I have next-to-no EM experience.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 09:09

Christmas lights make good, improvised ignitors!

zwt
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 09:13

So you're saying a glowing wire is all it takes to set off Tannerite? That contradicts most of what I've read.

Edit:
While researching this further, I discovered a New York Times correspondent claiming the bombs were in fact made with HMTD.

[Edited on 19-9-2016 by zwt]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 11:59

Quote:
So you're saying a glowing wire is all it takes to set off Tannerite?

Not nececcelery ─ and I didn't mention tannerite?

It will certainly, though, fire an improvised detonator!

zwt
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 14:08

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
I didn't mention tannerite?
My mistake. As your comment lacked any other context, I thought you were responding to my comment about the inability of such things as the filament of a Christmas light or a subsonic impact to reliably initiate Tannerite specifically. I agree that an incandescent light bulb filament could initiate a sensitive primary which could then set off a less-sensitive secondary, like Tannerite.

camerican
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 14:35

Would the pressure cooker confine the AN/Al mixture effectively enough that it would transition to detonation after being ignited? Or would there have to be a primary involved?
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 15:51

Quote: Originally posted by NedsHead  
My original comment was just a sceptical observation about the order of events, although it could just be the "signal amplifying" iron helmet talking, I'll switch back to tin foil shortly. yes, the follow up conversation with Bert was about Kelly
Interesting, I had never heard of Ned Kelly. I always assumed that your username was a Game of Thrones reference.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
OneEyedPyro
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 16:17

Quote: Originally posted by camerican  
Would the pressure cooker confine the AN/Al mixture effectively enough that it would transition to detonation after being ignited? Or would there have to be a primary involved?

AN/Al will not even sustain combustion let alone undergo DDT. It requires a detonator.
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 16:27

is that what people have been thinking about me? a grown man who has named his user profile after Game of Thrones? I wasn't even aware because I've never watched it, I don't even know if it's a television show or a movie

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 16:55

is that what people have been thinking about me? a grown man who has named his user profile after Game of Thrones? I wasn't even aware because I've never watched it, I don't even know if it's a television show or a movie
Haha, it's a show on HBO, and a very good one. Personally I don't think it reflects badly on you at all, but I'm biased since I like the show.

[spoiler] There's a prominent character named Ned who gets beheaded at the end of season one and it was kind of a big deal.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 18:43

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Haha, it's a show on HBO, and a very good one. Personally I don't think it reflects badly on you at all, but I'm biased since I like the show.

well that"s a relief,

even fictional Ned's have a hard time keeping their heads on their shoulders

Edit: it also explains why the user name "Ned'sHead" (with the apostrophe) was taken, I couldn't imagine why anyone else would want that user name

[Edited on 20-9-2016 by NedsHead]

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 20:10

You know your Aussie history Bert! I'm impressed, it's my iron helmet, it picks up and transmits wifi signals

Read "The Fatal Shore" a while back. "I am a tedious sink of useless knowledge".

http://archive.org/stream/160103190gut/3190.txt

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2016 at 08:39

Quote: Originally posted by zwt  
So you're saying a glowing wire is all it takes to set off Tannerite? That contradicts most of what I've read.

Edit:
While researching this further, I discovered a New York Times correspondent claiming the bombs were in fact made with HMTD.

All secondaries need a primary to set off, and higher powered primaries need a initiator such as heat spark of friction.

It is called an explosive train, so one can use a bit of wire and a match for the start of the train, then HMTD/TATP/lead azid, mercury fulimate and so on.

This then leads to the booster, this can be a mixture of a primary and secondary, or a fairly sensitive secondary.

Then your main bursting charge, but in the case of a sensitized explosive such as Am/Al One can use a simpler train with just two stages at the cost of slight higher chance of failure.

Thank fully the ones building these devices tend not to be the smartest to begin with! In the technical arts.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 14-10-2016 at 11:18

Conversely, most people smart enough to build and deploy complex devices are also smart enough to know that doing so would be a horrible idea. However, one can cause plenty of terror with quite primitive methods (like a big truck moving very fast).

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top