Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fish of the Day
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 13:28
Fish of the Day

Some scientists and chemistry towards the end.
Farmed Norwegian Salmon - World’s Most Toxic Food
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH6wH1dqbwc&ab_channel=H...
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 14:30

I may have to give up pickled herring. :(

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 05:30

Bioaccumulation of human generated crap in fish is profound enough in wild fish, let alone the poor critters raised in a pen right in a coastal estuary or river delta in human runoff... The ones we like to eat best are pretty much ALL near top of their food chain predators.

Whrn you dive a coast in the tropics, you can judge within minutes of seeing the bottom and water column conditions if much farm/city runoff is washed into that area, and whether or not they adequately treat blackwater/gray water. The fish population will show it, corals too.

The feed additives, drugs and pesticides in those farmed fish are a cherry on top of all that.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 05:47

Makes me glad that I don't like to eat any seafood...

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 06:14

Moules Marinière is a wonderful dish if you like mussels.

Impressive that we can pump enough garbage into the environment to pollute even something as vast and active as the Sea !

Unsatisfied with simple pollution, we even engineer vegetables to look pretty and have little to no flavour.

Recently i spotted some slimy pink jelly the supermarket meat section that might be a valuable source of exotic reagents.

Hard to find the MSDS for 'chicken breast' tho.

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 06:23

my family has avoided farmed fish for many years now,
(the family of a friend of mine has Scottish fish farms)
Norwegian fish has benn known about for a couple of years,
Thailand uses formaldehyde to preserve fish,
We avoid all seafood from estuaries,
cockles are #1 cause of hepatitis A (in Malaysia where I lived for 20 years)
line caught pacific fish are mainly what we buy.
We also avoid products from several countries for political reasons.
We only buy halal food due to religion,
and avoid GM on principle.
..... our shopping is neither easy nor cheap

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 06:58

I have nothing against responsible use of transgenic crops (how else would we feed all the people?). The problem there is unethical corporations. What really gets me angry is antibiotics being fed to livestock on a massive scale. This causes the evolution of resistant bacteria, and makes the antibiotics useless when humans need them.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 07:05

I used to be pro-GM (feed the world) and pro-nuclear (low pollution)
although scientifically achievable, greed and power struggles have turned me against both.
How many Indian farmers commited suicide due to Monsanto?
How can British scientists immediately after popping its lid announce the insignificance of Fukushima?
ad nauseam ... literally.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 07:39

http://www.feednavigator.com/Regulation/EFSA-draws-a-blank-o...

http://articles.extension.org/pages/67357/feeding-fishmeal-t...

Of possible concern
"Though it has been approved for use in foods in the US, and as a spray insecticide for fruits, ethoxyquin has surprisingly not been thoroughly tested for its carcinogenic potential. Ethoxyquin has long been suggested to be a possible carcinogen, and a very closely related chemical, 1,2-dihydro-2,2,4-trimethylquinoline, has been shown to have carcinogenic activity in rats, and a potential for carcinogenic effect to fishmeal prior to storage or transportation."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_meal

"Fishmeal is also commonly used in the formulation of livestock feed for both agriculture and aquaculture. Although fishmeal is not a by-product from slaughter animals, its growing use in animal feed presents problems from an environmental perspective. Most fishmeal is not produced as a by-product of catching fish for human consumption, and millions of tons of fish – including menhaden and other valuable prey species such as sand eels – are harvested each year for processing into animal feed. Together with a number of key marine conservation bodies, AWA believes that this practice is not sustainable and is potentially damaging to the marine environment, and we therefore do not wish to encourage the continued use of fishmeal in animal feeds."
http://animalwelfareapproved.org/standards/animal-byproducts...

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 08:32

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
How many Indian farmers commited suicide due to Monsanto?

None.

You may have heard otherwise, but that's bullshit spread by raving anti-GMO idiots who think that everything bad that ever happens can be blamed on Monsanto. Just like the twunts who claim that the cure for cancer is being hidden by scientists (who couldn't possibly give up cancer fundraising as an income source), the microcephaly in South America isn't caused by Zika, but by a pesticide that they'll blame Monsanto for (even though it's manufactured and sold by a completely different company), and that Hillary Clinton's first act as president will be to reach a deal with ISIS and declare Sharia Law throughout the land.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 08:33

Quote: Originally posted by Metacelsus  
I have nothing against responsible use of transgenic crops (how else would we feed all the people?).

Why do we always take the position that we have to keep feeding the growing hordes? Why don't we attack the root problem: overpopulation?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 08:41

That's a good point; population control will likely be necessary to avert widespread environmental destruction. Still, I'm not comfortable with letting people starve. Feeding "the hordes" is necessary; access to birth control can help stop them from being "growing hordes."

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 08:51

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Why don't we attack the root problem: overpopulation?

Patience, patience. We're working on it.

It takes ages to get a good bit of War going, as well as altering the climate to promote drought (therefore Famine), although generating diseases and Pestilience is going quite well.

We're waiting on some seals to break and a great trump before we can get general Death going.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 08:56

Quote: Originally posted by Metacelsus  
access to birth control can help stop them from being "growing hordes."

Without widespread education they'll probably boil and eat the condoms and wear the pills as earrings.

Population explosion has gone too far already :7,455,427,257

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

Collectively we behave more like a Virus than an intelligent species.

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 18:43

Glad I spend a lot of time in Mendocino California. Fish here is great, wild and a worthy opponent on the end of a rod :) we NEVER buy fish these days. Mainly because like store bought 'maters, there is no flavor. Lots of friends and fam with boats, endless coast line to rock fish and dive. Abalone, mussles, dungeoness crab, lingcod, salmon, tuna and so many more. There are tons of kinds of fish that you never hear the names in the supermarket, labeled cod, that are delightful. Chillipeppers are great and only heard about them from drag fishermen. If we buy anything its because our friends arent doing that kind of fishing, and its strsight from the doc. But been a couple years since the last tuna purchase.

Add all of the above to wild mushrooms, berries, blacktail deer, birds and home grown veggi's ... Mm mmm good.

That video was revolting to say the least!

Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 06:30

I miss Oregon sometimes, recalling catching salmon and dungeness crabs and launching our boat out of this little channel when it was much rougher than in this clip. I think we sounded our air horn when going out. A girl I knew in high school had a cherry orchard, we had a plum tree and grew strawberries, driving in the country through fields of mint and hops, finding blackberries, so much fresh food.
Sadly, so many foods are being compromised. It's a lot like using an air freshener, masking the problem instead of keeping things clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY18oL5qg40#t=3m33s

[Edited on 7-10-2016 by Morgan]

Go To Top