Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aluminum Oxide.... and?
Chemist514
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-11-2006 at 07:07
Aluminum Oxide.... and?

Greetings!

I have been handed 2 aluminum cans of chromatography grade reagents, Im curious if they add anything to these specific purpose chems or is it just really pure aluminum oxide.. They are from a German company "Woelm Acid" is also on the can but no assay as such.

If they did add some acid to it, can i take it out?

Much thanks, all the best.

The other is silica gel, into storage it goes...
h0lx
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-11-2006 at 07:20

I think for chromatography the reagents should be really pure, as is your stuff. But then again ignore me for I am quite drunk.
roamingnome
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-11-2006 at 09:50

From sigmaaldrich

General Description
Highly porous in nature, aluminas can be effective desiccantes and have numerous applications in catalysis. We offer four types of activated alumina (Al2O3) designed for column chromatography: acidic, wealky acidic, basic and neutral. All grades have a Brockmann activity of I. Prepare Bockmann II-V grades simply by adding the appropriate amount of water to the Brockmann I grade. Shake the material well to disintegrate lumps and allow it to equilibrate in a closed vessel overnight.

Applications
Neutral alumina can be used for removing impurities from natural alkaloids, vitamins, antibiotics, glycosides, and synthetic hormones, and
for drying and purfying solvents.

Basic alumina can be used for removing peroxides from ethers and hydrocarbons, extracting polar compounds (such as alcohols), drying solvents (diethyether, benzene, chloroform), separting xylenes, or in dioxin analyses (EPA Methods 1613) or pesticides anaylses.

Acidic alumina is useful for adsorbing polar compounds (such as vitamins), inorganic cations, water-soluble dyes, morphine, fatty acids, plant waxes, and
in dioxin analyses (EPA Method 1613)

Now you can obtain very pure morphine...

[Edited on 25-11-2006 by roamingnome]

Go To Top