Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Heavy metal chlorites
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 00:29

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Methyl hypochlorite does exist, actually, it is very easy to make it. Mix 0.5 ml of methanol with 1 ml of conc. acetic acid (80% or better). Mix this with a few ml of 10% bleach, slowly. You get a colorless gas, it bubbles nicely. If you keep a flame near the gas, then you get a deafening report! Be careful with igniting the gas, its explosions are powerful and can cause a test tube to shatter. It is best if you do this in a petri dish or hourglass.

I also tried to make methyl chlorite in the same way with 10% NaClO2, but that does not work. You get slow production of ClO2, just a little bit is formed, it makes the mix pale yellow. No colored gas can be observed above the liquid.

Hazards for the organic hypochlorites include light !
They are photo sensitive.

Wonder if methyl hypochlorite would react with urea solution, possibly with some MEK to form the azine.
I'm thinking hydrazine or methyl hydrazine.

There is an old thread here linked
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1896

Also this reports isopropyl hypochlorite by same method as tert-butyl hypochlorite.
http://www.orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=CV5P0184

Potentially there would be chloroform as a byproduct from bleach reacting with ethanol, isopropanol, or acetone. This a nasty reaction in terms of toxic and explosion hazards.

[Edited on 3/19/2018 by Rosco Bodine]
woelen
Super Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 04:14

I also did the experiment with ethanol and propanol. With ethanol you get a yellow liquid, but this liquid is VERY volatile. You see it evaporate, a big drop of this liquid on a piece of glass evaporates in half a minute or so. The propanol ester is much less volatile.

The ethanol and propanol esters are not explosive like the methanol ester. The vapor burns very quickly, with an orange flame and production of some soot. The liquids burn like nitrated cotton. They produce a WHOOSH sound and a very fast burn, but there is no report. The methyl ester really explodes with a loud report, so there is quite some difference.

Production of chloroform is virtually none, as long as you use sufficient acid. For this reason, you must mix your alcohol with twice its volume of acetic acid of high concentration and this mix must be added to the bleach. If you don't use lots of acid, then with ethanol and isopropanol you may end up with chloroform. If you first add the acid to the bleach, then you get a lot of chlorine and no ester is formed at all.

This reaction indeed is not very safe, that's why I told to use very small amounts, do not scale up.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 04:27

I too managed to make some (what I believed to be) ethyl hypochlorite, present as a green liquid that would float to the surface of the water solution it was made from transiently, before evaporating away into nothing, escaping capture and analysis. I'm amazed these compounds exist, there's very little information online about them
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 04:50

Quote: Originally posted by Tdep  
I too managed to make some (what I believed to be) ethyl hypochlorite, present as a green liquid that would float to the surface of the water solution it was made from transiently, before evaporating away into nothing, escaping capture and analysis. I'm amazed these compounds exist, there's very little information online about them

You didn't try and light it?

Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 05:14

Ya I mean what good is a synthesis if you don't end with trying to light it on fire, but it was in a water ethanol mix and there was a lot of chlorine and a lot going on... so none of it made it to the flames (that's really what I mean by '''further analysis''')
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 07:01

Having seen what tiny drops of the somewhat related ethyl perchlorate do, and given the description of the violent explosion of small bubbles? I am quite willing to limit the ammounts of methyl hypochlorite to a few ml...

I certainly agree that anything we make which includes a potential for explosion MUST be tested in a flame, for science! Also for entertainment value, if you're anything like me.

Also ran across this bit about trimethyl Perchlorate while searching for Blasters spoon photo, attached below.

Quote:

Another unusual ester was made in 1930 - trichloromethyl perchlorate from anhydrous carbon tetrachloride and AgClO4. It was so explosive that it could only be made in minute quantities and couldn't be completely isolated as it detonated with extreme violence when the CCl4 was evaporated off.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1081

I note Blaster has been absent from the forum since February of 2013. Hope he is still above the ground-

Not sure I am feeling lucky today, and carbon tetrachloride is depressingly hard to come by OTC in USA these days.

DSCF0026.JPG - 47kB

[Edited on 19-3-2018 by Bert]
woelen
Super Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 08:33

I know of the ethyl perchlorate. It is very powerful.
Ethyl hypochlorite is much less powerful, it burns like nitrocotton when liquid. Maybe liquid methyl hypochlorite is as powerful as ethyl perchlorate, but I do not have the equipment to make this in liquid form. When you mix the chemicals it simply bubbles away as a gas. The gas, however, is very powerful already.

Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 10:56

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Having seen what tiny drops of the somewhat related ethyl perchlorate do, and given the description of the violent explosion of small bubbles? I am quite willing to limit the ammounts of methyl hypochlorite to a few ml...

I certainly agree that anything we make which includes a potential for explosion MUST be tested in a flame, for science! Also for entertainment value, if you're anything like me.

Also ran across this bit about trimethyl Perchlorate while searching for Blasters spoon photo, attached below.

Quote:

Another unusual ester was made in 1930 - trichloromethyl perchlorate from anhydrous carbon tetrachloride and AgClO4. It was so explosive that it could only be made in minute quantities and couldn't be completely isolated as it detonated with extreme violence when the CCl4 was evaporated off.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1081

I note Blaster has been absent from the forum since February of 2013. Hope he is still above the ground-

Not sure I am feeling lucky today, and carbon tetrachloride is depressingly hard to come by OTC in USA these days.

Yeah, that's EXACTLY the thread I was thinking of when I said that Alkyl Perchlorates are absolutely INSANE chemicals.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 11:01

I noted the description of Silver hypochlorite a few posts up.

Could Carbon tetrachloride and Silver hypochlorite react as Carbon tet and Silver perchlorate do?

woelen
Super Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 23:46

A few posts up there was writing about silver chlorite, not silver hypochlorite.
Silver chlorite is stable, a yellow compound: AgClO2
Silver hypochlorite does not exist it seems. I once tried making that, but if you add a silver salt to bleach you get a black precipitate, most likely a higher oxide of silver. I myself have done experiments with peroxodisulfate and silver(I) salts and these lead to formation of a mixed silver(I)/silver(III) oxide, Ag2O2. Hypochlorite most likely also produces this, but the result is much more messy than with peroxodisulfate, due to the high pH involved and due to the presence of chloride. No clean simple product.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top