Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: storing Propionyl Chloride
Db33
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-11-2016 at 11:15
storing Propionyl Chloride

i recently got a supplier to sell me 100ml sized bottles of Propionyl Chloride. Now i know how this tuff reacts with water and how it is in general. My question is what is the BEST way to store this and how long can i store it safely before it degrades? And also should it be kept in a fridge or room temperature or what? thank you
Chlorine
Hazard to Self

Mood: Brominated

[*] posted on 29-11-2016 at 11:29

Amber glass bottle with teflon tape in the threads. If you're taking a cautious route, put it in a dessicater bag with 10-20g of magnesium sulfate or your preferred dessicant.
Db33
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-11-2016 at 13:22

thanks thats perfect. Hoping it can last a few months like that.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 29-11-2016 at 14:35

I have noted that these compounds tend to escape--usually by means of eating the caps off (Bakelite caps with poly seals are no good, even when refrigerated). The seals should be teflon.

I always kept mine (butyryl chloride) refrigerated. When properly sealed and refrigerated (it's dark in there), mine was good for months (and probably still is).

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 29-11-2016 at 15:02

Yup! The last time I had Oxalyl Chloride, it made itself into a gummy seething un-contained mess. Ate right through the cap. And, this happen sooner, rather than later. Like right after delivery.

I was a younger man at the time, and perhaps I acted rashly. I simply took the bottle outside, laid it on its side, and quenched it with water. Poof! Gone.

Teflon cap sounds like a good idea. Refrigerate.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2016 at 16:46

I would store it at RT, but in a good glass bottle and inside a secondary container, to help keep it dry and protect it and the area around it, in case it leaks. You can even put some baking soda in the secondary container if you want to reduce the acid fumes, my acid cabinet is pretty corroded, as is much of the hood I work in due to lots of acids and fumes.
Db33
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-11-2016 at 17:15

im just hoping that its shipped with a teflon lid so i can keep it in original container. Otherwise i will transfer it.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 29-11-2016 at 17:29

I store my acetyl chloride in a 100mL narrow mouth Qorpak bottle with a ptfe lid liner. I keep it in the garage. It seems to be doing OK. The only thing my wife will let me keep in the fridge is H2O2.

I wanted to store my ether in the freezer but when I did it ruined all the food containing any fat, which included all the meat. Now I store it in the garage with a smidgen of BHT.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-11-2016 at 07:16

I'm a big fan of Duran glassware and caps.
I use their PP caps for almost everything that is non corrosive.
The red (PBT?) teflon lined are perfect for anything corrosive that doesnt give out too much vapor (H2SO4).
The "Premium" caps (Teflon lined and PFA) are ok for anything corrosive but they are not as tough (mechanically speaking) as the red ones so anything that creates pressure inside the bottle will eventually leak.
The "Pure" caps are PFA made with an inner liner AND a big toric seal. I just got five of them and havent tried them yet. I will definitely use them for anything corrosive that gives out a lot of vapor (conc. HNO3)
And on a side note, pouring rings are crap: remove them !

Go To Top