Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: otc sodium hydroxide
Db33
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-1-2017 at 15:48
otc sodium hydroxide

For many years the best source i had for Over the counter Sodium Hydroxide was stuff called Crystal Drain Opener from Lowes. However upon going by there today, i opened the lid and the beads are now blue. This may just be sodium hydroxide dyed blue, but still not pure enough for my liking or most others. So yeah, if you used this as well, dont waste your money. Find a better source.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2017 at 15:54

There are a few varieties of Crystal Drain Opener at Lowes... what brand is this?

Chlorine
Hazard to Self

Mood: Brominated

[*] posted on 22-1-2017 at 04:44

Normally hardware stores, (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc) carry at least 2-3 brands of drain cleaner composed of 100% lye.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 22-1-2017 at 15:28

Home Depot and Lowe's don't typically carry 100% NaOH, at least in New York, but virtually every smaller chain of hardware stores (TrueValue, ACE, etc.) does, as well as most mom and pop hardware stores.

[Edited on 1/22/17 by Melgar]
Db33
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-1-2017 at 15:53

the one im speaking of is Roebic, its a very big bottle that costs like $7. The only ingredient listed is Sodium Hydroxide.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2017 at 15:56

The Brooklyn Lowes has it, according to the Lowes website, but several of the other New York City Lowes stores do not. I'm guessing they are just out of stock. Interesting.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2017 at 17:05

Quote: Originally posted by Db33  
the one im speaking of is Roebic, its a very big bottle that costs like $7. The only ingredient listed is Sodium Hydroxide.

Interesting.. I think it is more expensive here. Actually, I think it is more like $13-15 for a bottle most places.

Does it say 100% lye on the front?

[Edited on 23-1-2017 by JJay]

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 22-1-2017 at 18:51

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
The Brooklyn Lowes has it, according to the Lowes website, but several of the other New York City Lowes stores do not. I'm guessing they are just out of stock. Interesting.

They never have it though. I've been to the 66th St. Lowe's on quite a few occasions, and there isn't a spot for it on their shelves. Not a problem though, since a Benjamin Moore hardware store a few blocks away from my work always has it in stock.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2017 at 19:03

I usually get my NaOH at Lowes, but it is available from every hardware store and even Walmart around here. I can get 55 pound sacks delivered from the local chemical supply dirt cheap, but I'm not really sure what I'd do with a 55 pound sack of it.

JnPS
Hazard to Self

Mood: Umpolung

[*] posted on 22-1-2017 at 19:15

I usually get my NaOH at Lowes, but it is available from every hardware store and even Walmart around here. I can get 55 pound sacks delivered from the local chemical supply dirt cheap, but I'm not really sure what I'd do with a 55 pound sack of it.

Sell it to other SM members who don't have access to such lavish suppliers? XD I have to get my NaOH in small 1lb containers from my local Ace Hardware, I'd be more than happy to split the price and share 55 lbs
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2017 at 19:22

Quote: Originally posted by JnPS  

Sell it to other SM members who don't have access to such lavish suppliers? XD I have to get my NaOH in small 1lb containers from my local Ace Hardware, I'd be more than happy to split the price and share 55 lbs

The only problem with that idea is that I'd have to pack it and ship it, not to mention store it.... I'd imagine that if you call around, you can find dozens of similar suppliers locally, especially in your area; it's pretty slim pickings around here.

If I buy it from the chemical supplier, the *smallest* order they will fill is 55 lbs.

[Edited on 23-1-2017 by JJay]

Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 23-1-2017 at 08:58

In my locale there are two brands of hardware shop 'caustic soda'..................

On the back, one says 'contains Sodium Hydroxide'.

The other says '99% Sodium Hydroxide'.

I know which one l WOULDN'T use..............

100% is virtually non-existent. There is only one listing of 99-100% on this whole page

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050...

IMO as long as it says 99% on the back it's good enough for all intents and purposes...................

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
harderm
Harmless

Mood: pistoff

[*] posted on 23-1-2017 at 23:28
Drano

A long time ago, Drano contained aluminum filings as well as sodium hydroxide. The reaction in water produced hydrogen (I think.) plus heat and agitation, which must have helped it digest drain-crud. I haven't seen the stuff recently. Has anyone else?
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 24-1-2017 at 04:25

Kind of depends where you are located...
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 08:32

Check out the Tru-Value stores and maybe Ace or other non major big box stores. Find out if they carry Rooto products (they make a great H2SO4 drain opener as well as a 100% lye product). I get mine at local store for $3.69 USD and on sale as low as $2.99 (rarely but normal sale is $3.29). This is for 1lb in a nice 24 oz (or so) white HDPE bottle. I would stay away from Amazon, Walmart, Home depot and Lowes for this - basically nationwide big box stores, if you want the good price. IDK how walmart gets away with charging $9.75 for this 1lb bottle when 1/4 mile away it is $2,99 when on sale (25% off sale) which equates to 326% mark up over the Tru-Value and Ace stores!

So As always, look for the locally owned hardware stores and there is a good chance that this will be available.

Also, the H2SO4 is available in 1qt and gallon and seems to average between 92-94% and is always a fairly clear - like a light Karo corn syrup but a little thinner. Expect to pay maybe $8-10 for qt and $23-32 for the gallon.

Here is a pic of the NaOH and H2SO4

rooto-crystals-of-household-100-lye-drain-opener-1-lb- sm.jpg - 100kB rooto H2SO4 sm.jpg - 47kB
Chlorine
Hazard to Self

Mood: Brominated

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 14:43

Quote: Originally posted by RogueRose  
Check out the Tru-Value stores and maybe Ace or other non major big box stores. Find out if they carry Rooto products (they make a great H2SO4 drain opener as well as a 100% lye product). I get mine at local store for $3.69 USD and on sale as low as $2.99 (rarely but normal sale is $3.29). This is for 1lb in a nice 24 oz (or so) white HDPE bottle. I would stay away from Amazon, Walmart, Home depot and Lowes for this - basically nationwide big box stores, if you want the good price. IDK how walmart gets away with charging $9.75 for this 1lb bottle when 1/4 mile away it is $2,99 when on sale (25% off sale) which equates to 326% mark up over the Tru-Value and Ace stores!

So As always, look for the locally owned hardware stores and there is a good chance that this will be available.

Also, the H2SO4 is available in 1qt and gallon and seems to average between 92-94% and is always a fairly clear - like a light Karo corn syrup but a little thinner. Expect to pay maybe $8-10 for qt and $23-32 for the gallon.

Here is a pic of the NaOH and H2SO4

This is the exact brand of NaOH i use, my local hardware store sells it for $3.50 a ontainer. Also, the bottles they come in are water tight so they can't absorb water from the surrounding atmosphere.
hnto
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-2-2017 at 16:33

Rooto products (they make a great H2SO4 drain opener as well as a 100% lye product)

Curious, do you know if the Rooto brand of NaOH is the monohydrate?
Intergalactic_Captain
Hazard to Others

Mood: frabjous

[*] posted on 11-2-2017 at 17:37

This is the exact brand of NaOH i use, my local hardware store sells it for $3.50 a ontainer. Also, the bottles they come in are water tight so they can't absorb water from the surrounding atmosphere.

So someone else noticed this too - I was absolutely ecstatic to find NaOH on the shelf at a local ace about a year ago, and only bought it because I trust rooto for quality - quite a suprise when I re-opened a bottle that sat under a sink for the better part of 10 months to find that it was still free-flowing. A testament to no-bullshit chemicals and quality packaging.

[Edited on 2-12-17 by Intergalactic_Captain]

If you see me running, try to keep up.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2017 at 23:36

Quote: Originally posted by hnto  
Rooto products (they make a great H2SO4 drain opener as well as a 100% lye product)

Curious, do you know if the Rooto brand of NaOH is the monohydrate?

Most likely not. I'm pretty certain that NaOH doesn't have a hydrated state from what I have read though it does have a high affinity for water but I believe it may change the molecular structure somewhat when in contact with water. It is very dry and seems like high quality lye I've received from other sources.

Go To Top