Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: JJ-1 Overhead Stirrer
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2017 at 15:07
JJ-1 Overhead Stirrer

Today I'd like to discuss a topic that is very near and dear to my heart: the JJ-1 overhead stirrer. This is a piece of equipment that is available from several Chinese outlets, and while it isn't cheap, it does look very inexpensive compared to comparable equipment available from U.S. suppliers.

I have been thinking about buying one. I don't know much about overhead stirrers; my experience using one consists of things like mounting a drill with a brushed motor in a vertical configuration and running it on low speed with a triac dimmer and limited experience with a used high-end model shipped from eBay with a bent shaft.

Has anyone used the JJ-1 overhead stirrer? Does it work well with 110 V current? Does it have any major design flaws I should be aware of? What are its limitations? Why do different vendors claim different wattages for it?

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 13-2-2017 at 02:02

Hey. If it comes with your name already on it, why not give it a go?
:P
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-2-2017 at 02:26

Well, for one thing, I already have two overhead stirrers. One needs some repairs but is a high-end one. The other is a single-speed, bargain basement variety, but I think it is actually sufficient for most any purpose that requires a stirrer. I've actually tried it out since writing this post, and it's definitely functional though a bit heavy and overkill. The JJ-1 does look like it does what I want, but given that I don't know much about stirrers, I don't want to accidentally buy a piece of junk or something that won't give me any functionality that I don't have. One thing it does have that my current stirrers lack is a stand.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 03:56

I've used my JJ-1 40-watt stirrer a couple of times, and I like it. The collapsible stand that was included with it is very sturdy, and so are the stand clamps. There is an included 3-prong clamp that is not very heavy-duty and will probably be the first thing to break. It should not be used alone; when using the stirrer with multiple-neck glassware, it is absolutely essential to clamp the glassware in at least two and preferably 3 places to avoid gradual turning and tilting.

The stirrer is capable of handling viscous mixtures. I haven't tried using either of the included stir paddles, but I did manage to get one of the common Chinese PTFE paddles available on eBay to work with it by stripping a couple of inches of PTFE off of the base of the paddle, fitting it into the arbor wrapped with a cut-off piece of wide rubber band, and then tightening down the chuck. While I didn't try this, I'm pretty sure it is powerful enough to break the blades off of a PTFE stir paddle.

It has analog controls and is not the most sophisticated stirrer on the market, but new it is far less expensive than any other overhead stirrer, and do you really need a digital display? I'm also told that there is a Jacobs chuck accessory available for it, which would allow more easily using multiple paddle sizes.

So anyway, with a bit of effort to adapt the collet chuck to my stir paddles, it does what I bought it for. I'd give it something like 4/5 stars.

cabal
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 04:29

Thanks for updating this, JJay. How much did you pay for your JJ-1? I just looked them up and found prices between $50-200.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 07:12

I paid $110-$120.

Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 23:59

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
I've used my JJ-1 40-watt stirrer a couple of times, and I like it. The collapsible stand that was included with it is very sturdy, and so are the stand clamps. There is an included 3-prong clamp that is not very heavy-duty and will probably be the first thing to break. It should not be used alone; when using the stirrer with multiple-neck glassware, it is absolutely essential to clamp the glassware in at least two and preferably 3 places to avoid gradual turning and tilting.

The stirrer is capable of handling viscous mixtures. I haven't tried using either of the included stir paddles, but I did manage to get one of the common Chinese PTFE paddles available on eBay to work with it by stripping a couple of inches of PTFE off of the base of the paddle, fitting it into the arbor wrapped with a cut-off piece of wide rubber band, and then tightening down the chuck. While I didn't try this, I'm pretty sure it is powerful enough to break the blades off of a PTFE stir paddle.

It has analog controls and is not the most sophisticated stirrer on the market, but new it is far less expensive than any other overhead stirrer, and do you really need a digital display? I'm also told that there is a Jacobs chuck accessory available for it, which would allow more easily using multiple paddle sizes.

So anyway, with a bit of effort to adapt the collet chuck to my stir paddles, it does what I bought it for. I'd give it something like 4/5 stars.
I own the 100 Watt version and for the most part I would agree.

The controls are mostly analog and the power supply, if you have a background in electronics, can be repaired if you need to.The timing mechanism: be gentle and careful.Its not terrible, but its mostly ABS plastic.

The Collet chuck is NOT flexible at all when it comes to different stirrer shaft diameters. Mine is a good with 7mm shafts and not much else. I am considering replacing the chuck with one from McMaster Carr..BUT some rubber tubing and some screw/jubilee hose clips can do just as well if you use a decent bearing.

The torque on the slow end is a bit low but this isn't a big deal.

The stands are sturdy and great, and overall this stirrer is good to great.

PS: If memory serves these are made by the Jiangsu Jinyi Corporation.

[Edited on 3-7-2017 by Funkerman23]

[Edited on 3-7-2017 by Funkerman23]

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
RegularOldGuy
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-7-2017 at 19:55

Worth a look while they got some left...

https://www.amazon.com/Lab-Companion-AAH370115U-Overhead-100...
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2017 at 21:17

The only thing I don't like about that one is it looks like it was designed for 220V. Who knows... maybe it works fine at 110V.

RegularOldGuy
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-7-2017 at 22:16

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
The only thing I don't like about that one is it looks like it was designed for 220V. Who knows... maybe it works fine at 110V.

Its actually designed around 12V, it uses a switch mode power brick (similar to a laptop).
The brick takes 100-220V and outputs 12V @ 6A.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2017 at 22:31

I see. I like my JJ-1, but that stirrer does look like it has some nice features. It is pretty attractively priced....

Go To Top