Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where can I buy needles/CannulaNeedles/Septa for inert atmosphere setups?
Lillica
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 21:36
Where can I buy needles/CannulaNeedles/Septa for inert atmosphere setups?

I am looking for a site that sells some of those double-tipped flexible needles, as well as a site that carries the 24/40 Rubber Septa's.

The most I've worked with inert atmospheres has been an inflated balloon that I slid over a thermometer adapter. It has allowed me to reflux under argon somewhat and purge flasks to some extent, but it's not going to cut it for future use. I will be getting some of the rubber sealed bottles that need to be punctured with a needle in order to extract the reagent.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Many of the sites I found carrying them do not sell to hobbyist to my knowledge.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 23:56

United Glass Tech sells rubber septa on eBay but doesn't list them on their main site. You can call them and ask I would think.

I have found that most labware sites do sell to hobbyists and have no problem vending septa and so forth, but I haven't looked for needles except in the usual places... they don't seem to be too hard to find....

Lillica
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-2-2017 at 02:04

Standard needles should be easily obtainable through ebay or amazon. I prefer to get the double ended cannula needles... which up until learning more about inert atmosphere techniques I had no idea even existed. So I have no idea where to get those double ended ones.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-2-2017 at 02:33

I'll preface this with the disclaimer that I've never done anything with inert gas, but it looks easy enough.

http://www.pfstar.com/Sigma-Aldrich-Z185213-1EA-DOUBLE-TIPPE...
https://www.quartzy.com/reagent-detail/DOUBLE-TIPPED-NEEDLE-...
https://www.quartzy.com/reagent-detail/DOUBLE-TIPPED-NEEDLE-...

adk
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-2-2017 at 18:48

Chemglass Life Sciences sell SubaSeal septa - they are relatively expensive but a pack lasts a long time.

I buy mine from Sigma-Aldrich in the 14/23 size and then use cone/socket adapters for 29/32 as the 29/32 seals are really expensive.

Also, you can simply cut the barrel of a 5 mL or 10 mL luer lock syringe near the thumb grip, sand down the plastic burr and then fit a balloon over it.

Then, with your Argon / Nitrogen cylinder, run an 8 mm (or 3/8") ID hose from the regulator and then inflate the balloon by inserting the luer lock end in the tubing and turning on your gas regulator slowly. Twist balloon to stop your gas coming out and then attach a needle (Terumo green 1.5" long needles work well). I often put this needle into a small (100 mL) flask in order to have a small flask available for flushing cannula or long needles. You simply add another vent needle into the Suba Seal, flush it out with gas from your balloon a couple of times and then you have clean and dry air available. When you want to flush out a flask, simply move the needle/balloon to your reaction setup.

I'll try to take some pictures and show you exactly what I mean, if that would help

A

adk
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-2-2017 at 18:51

Also, if you need needles and cannula - Cadence Science are the manufacturer used by Sigma Aldrich. Buy directly from them... they are much cheaper!

http://cadenceinc.com/catalog/
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-2-2017 at 19:40

I have made cannulas from cut off syringe needles and teflon tubing. This allows getting the length needed and for some flexibilty. I have used these homemade cannulas for transferring Gignard and alkyl lithium reagents without incident. I generally found these homemade items to be superior to the all stainless cannulas, especially when the all metal ones clog. They are nearly impossible to clean.

AvB
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 18-2-2017 at 22:12

Try a veterinary supply store, it shocked me at first too but they are an excellent source for these things.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org

Go To Top