Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Camera Selection, Filming Pyrotechnics
MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 09:20
Camera Selection, Filming Pyrotechnics

I want some input from those of you that produce quality youtube videos.

From my research... it seems that it takes over $500 to buy a camera capable of filming more than 240FPS... like my Iphone 6. Ideally I would like a 1000fps for filming detonation experiments.

Are there any hacks, or off brand cameras that can do this for under $500?

For those of you who film clear crisp youtube videos, has an Iphone worked, or is the sound terrible. What do you use/recommend?

I would even be fine filming some experiments in black and white if I could get a higher FPS... but research has shown no affordable options.., am I terrible at search, or is this true?

The slow mo guys and smarter everyday have amazing slowmotion videos... but I believe their cameras are $150K
Jstuyfzand
Hazard to Others

Mood: Learning, Sorta.

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 10:35

I have a Galaxy S7 myself, which supposedly has one of the "best" smartphone cameras on the market.
Not going to comment on the slow mo, but there is a feature on it called Pro mode where you can control the shutter speed and ISO etc.

Playing around with these settings can get you an incredibly detailed view of a bright object such as a fire by shortening the shutter speed so its detailed instead of a bright splash on the screen.
I have a youtube channel myself, and I began using my phone to film (1080@60fps) lately and I am very happy with the sound quality.
Beware that most smartphones have a noise cancelling thingy so that it records voice better, you can disable this though if you want to film explosions and such. (On android atleast)

FYI: you asked for high quality content creators, thats not me.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 11:19

IMO phone cameras are good for home videos, but bad for YouTube. Very shaky and generally poor quality from what I've seen. I guarantee you smarter every day doesn't use one!

For sound quality, get a camera that has a jack for an external microphone. That's improved my audio quality immensely. I can clip the mic to my shirt and my voice is always loud and clear. Don't make the mistake I did and check whether you need a powered or unpowered mic before you buy one. Also make sure to get a tripod for the camera so your viewers don't get motion sickness.

Slow motion cameras very quickly get very expensive, but I have no experience using them so I can't offer much advice.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 11:29

Yes,

I think I will have to settle for a less expensive camera, I like the advice of the external microphone and tripod... as some of these videos may have a promotional aspect to them... that is very important..
nezza
Hazard to Others

Mood: phosphorescent

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 01:44

I use a Panasonic Lumix FZ-200. It was a reasonable price and gives 100 fps at 720p or 200 fps at VGA resolution. Filming pyrotechnics it is important to get the exposure right to record the colours and I usually find that I need 2 to 3 stops LESS exposure than metered to get anything other than a burned out white mess. I have attached a video of Copper EN perchlorate taken on that camera.

Attachment: Copper.mp4 (1019kB)
This file has been downloaded 637 times

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 17:39

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
IMO phone cameras are good for home videos, but bad for YouTube. Very shaky and generally poor quality from what I've seen. I guarantee you smarter every day doesn't use one!

I respectfully disagree here. Phone cameras have been surging along with quality recently, to the point now where things filmed with the top of the line phone cameras have sensational quality. No, not quite professional, but I doubt even Smarter every day used professional cameras when starting out on Youtube.

The iPhone 7, S7 and Pixel have all quite similar and fantastic cameras. They are expensive yes, but people need phones too. Hardly anyone you know will own a 'top of the line' laptop, but how many people you know own a 'top of the line' phone? Lots. They're a good investment. I've been looking at getting a Google Pixel. It's expensive, but my old phone has shit itself so I need a new one anyway. It can do 240fps well.

You can get tripods for phone cameras. You can definitely get a very nice look with a phone camera. I know I have a whole channel where I just wave around an iPad camera and it looks sketchy as fuck, but I think some of those videos are ok.

A DSLR camera takes excellent shots. But I must say after buying one, it kind of robs you a little bit of the 'fun' in your videos, due to a lack of an autofocus. Most affordable DSLRs lack an adaptive autofocus, and the ones that do are annoying an can be very loud (given they are next to the mic). So it's hard to say, chase your dog around the yard with it. You kind of just have to set it up, try and focus on the dog and then hope the dog doesn't run out of focus. Sure, it's a higher quality image of the dog, but if you want to convey the joy of running around after it, you're better off with a nice phone camera or a proper camcorder.

On the topic of camcorders, I feel many of them are getting a little redundant with the improvement in phone cameras. You can still get one, but, as noted above, get one with an audio input! I didn't, an when I decided it was time to upgrade the audio (the mics in most camcorders and DSLRs are pretty dreadful) I couldn't, and I had to buy a whole new camera (which was ok anyway in the end).
So yeah some cameras will come with an audio input, some wont. Get one that does if you wanna film videos. You definitely don't have to get a mic straight away, especially when making your first few videos on youtube (it's like yelling to a paddock with only 3 unresponsive cows in it to start with) but its good having the option there if you want to upgrade in future.

The downsides of phone is you can't upgrade the audio, well, at least not easily. Maybe with android, but I very much doubt an iphone will have an easy input like that..... ok I looked it up and you can get external mics for phones! Wow, neat.

Yes, being able to change exposure and shutter speed, white balance ect is cool but it is at the expense of the easy, readiness and 'fun' aspect of a camercorder/phone camera. I'm all for them.

Finally, if your chemistry/pyrotechnics is interesting, i'd probably watch it even if it was crap quality. Videos can stand up just on their content too, so don't fret so much about getting all the bells and whistles at the start.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 19:59

Gread Tdep,

I am going to use my iphone!! and buy a tripod! Thank you!!

Go To Top