Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making Iron Oxide By Electrolysis Using Iron Nails As Electrodes
warlah
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 09:56
Making Iron Oxide By Electrolysis Using Iron Nails As Electrodes

ive been trying to produce iron II oxide from using a 12 volt power supply, nail electrodes (which are magnetic and not galvenived so im assuming its iron), and sodium chloride as the ions to increase conductivity. the crude product from this electrolysis is a blue powder when in water but after filtration and drying it is a rust red color. ive tried testing the product by mixing aluminum powder with it and putting a magnesium strip in it and lighting it on fire to see if a thermite reaction would accure but no reaction. my thoughts are that the nails arent pure iron and contain other metals like copper. should i get a better source of iron if so where or should i use a better extraction technique to purify the iron oxide.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 10:10

The problem is probably not with the synthesis of the oxide (which is probably more iron(III) than iron(II), since the latter oxidized easily in basic solution), but in the difficulty in igniting the thermite reaction, which can be a real pain in the neck. If the iron oxide was mixed with copper oxide, manganese oxide, or nearly any other oxide, the reaction with aluminum will still go well....once you get it started.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
warlah
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 10:20

do you know any purification techniques for iron oxide
Acidum
Harmless

Mood: Sublimed

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 13:01

In order to make thermite, you cannot use hydrated iron-oxide, which will be made using this process. Maybe try to heat it to 100+ degrees celsius until constant mass?

...and then I disappeared in the mist...
Liamatpm
Harmless

Mood: Using the process of cellular respiration to stay (barely) alive

[*] posted on 23-3-2017 at 04:21

I would get the Iron hydroxide and heat it up it (over 110 degrees centigrade) then it might break the bonds. Then I would wash what's left then heat it up again then you might have iron hydroxide.

Go look on my not very good (or accurate) YouTube channel. Link: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCH8ZTfvZcsKCGzZB1xhjMgg
ferrousexplosive
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-7-2017 at 19:15

haha i always make this same process, a recomendation to you is that dark blue/green mass that precipitates, separate it not with filtration but with 3 or 4 cycles of dilution and decantation even in the same beaker or jar you made the electrolysis, the take the dark mass and heat it until all the hidroxyde decomposes into iron (III) oxide and water, when all you got left is a red powder, you are more than done :)
knowledgevschaos
Harmless

Mood: Hungry for information

[*] posted on 24-8-2023 at 20:24

Probably a bit late but here's what worked for me:
I used electrolysis with iron rebar as electrodes and potassium sulfate as an electrolyte, using 5 volts from a phone charger. As the iron corroded, it left me with a greenish-black sludge which I assumed was iron hydroxides. I let it settle, decanted it, then repeated several cycles of washing, settling and decanting with a siphon to remove the potassium sulfate. I gravity filtered it (would not recommend, this takes a very long time!), dried it into a paste, put it into a steel food can and heated it with a flame, and it turned from greenish-black to brown and finally into a red powder. When this was done, I ground it in a mortar and pestle, spread it onto a pyrex glass tray, and baked it in the oven at about 200 C for an hour, and this produced a very fine, deep red powder which seems quite pure and is suitable for thermite.
Hope this helps!

Go To Top