Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question about preparing organophosphines - alkylation with PCl5 vs PCl3
Lillica
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 11:15
Question about preparing organophosphines - alkylation with PCl5 vs PCl3

I've been reading some papers about preparing organophosphines by alkylating enolates with PCl3. From what I've read, PCl3 sounds scary toxic, and PCl5 seeming more easy to handle. I'm no expert on phosphorous chemistry, but would I be able to alkylate an enolate with PCl5 and then hydrogenate the additional chlorine away, similar to how I would be able to with PCl3? Question being would PCl3 behave in a similar manner as PCl5 for this purpose?

Additionally I've read that PCl3 can be converted to a monoamide which can undergo alkylation. This may be a better route but I need to find more information on it.

[Edited on 3-3-2017 by Lillica]
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 11:28

If you alkylated PCl5, you'd probably immediately get reductive elimination to give RCl and PCl3. What makes you say that PCl5 is easier to handle than PCl3? I know PCl3 is nasty, but I'd just expect PCl5 to be even worse.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Lillica
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 13:36

Isn't PCl5 a solid whereas PCl3 is a volatile liquid? The main reason I fear PCl3 is because wikipedia says 600pm is lethal in just a few minutes, which I'm guessing is has to do with the fumes. I'm even paranoid about using it with a fume hood since my fume hood doesn't vent outside.

I wonder how the toxicity of PBr3 compares to PCl3.

[Edited on 3-3-2017 by Lillica]
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
3-3-2017 at 15:14
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 15:16

That's not all that much worse than chlorine gas or even hydrochloric acid. Hanging out around toxic levels of PCl3 is extremely unpleasant. I wouldn't suggest handling it in a fume hood that doesn't vent outside; if you accidentally flash-boil 10 mL of it into the room, you'll definitely wish you hadn't.

Phosphine is an order of magnitude more dangerous than phosphorus trichloride, and producing any in a fume hood that doesn't vent outside borders on suicidal.

Edit: I see you updated your post to include a question about PBr3 toxicity. PBr3 is fairly popular among hobbyists, and making it is straightforward if you have phosphorus and bromine. You could probably get away with making it using matchbook striker composition as long as it didn't contain any sulfur.

Post pictures.

[Edited on 3-3-2017 by JJay]

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 15:18

I haven't worked with PCl3 or PCl5 before, but PBr3 is fairly easy to work with. It fumes in humid air but it's not very volatile so toxicity isn't really a concern, as the fumes coming off are just P2O5 and HBr. Still have good ventilation, of course.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top