Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Cleaning Inside of Flask
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 3-5-2009 at 10:39

A related problem is cleaning a mortar. I tried mild abrasives but they didn't work too well. But by adding a little sodium bicarbonate dampened with water, then grinding away with the pestle, most contaminants can be removed pretty well.
pHzero
Hazard to Self

Mood: Fully substituted

[*] posted on 17-5-2009 at 09:33
Peroxymonosulfuric acid

Sulfuric acid+Hydrogen peroxide ---> Peroxymonosulfuric acid, aka pirhana solution. It dissolves pretty much everything, so it should do the trick. The perxoxy group makes it particularly effective against organic compounds

And I can understand why metabisulfates so effective against MnO2 - it reacts with water to form SO2, which reacts with insoluble MnO2 to make soluble MnSO4. If you dont have any metabisulfate, i expect if you held the flask over burning sulfur, that'd do the trick too
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 17-5-2009 at 12:29

I have a very nice heavy ceramic mortar and pestle that ocasionally gets used for powdering oxides and other things that really don't want to come out. I've tried everything. Base, acid, reducing agents, etc. When I finally give up, I throw a decent amount of moderately coarse white sand in there and grind until it's a fine powder. A rinse and it looks good as new again. I know I'm removing ceramic, but the walls are so thick, it'll be many years before that becomes an issue.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
setback
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-5-2009 at 19:50

Quote:

Like bisulfites, a solution of hydroxylamine will also quickly remove MnO2; it is added to the digestion mixture post-oxidation (KMNO4/K2S2O8) when carrying out the EPA analysis for Hg (Hg via cold vapor).

Hey! I used to do that. In the sample cup goes DI, a minute amount of HNO3, H2SO4, then the KMNO4 and persulfate. Heat it up, cool it down, then add the hydroxylamine.

Yes, I actually used to use the hydroxylamine to clean up KMNO4 stains, works like a charm.
tahallium
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-3-2020 at 16:47

Can I remove traces of Mercury, lead, thallium?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top