Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cleaning Water out of Graham Condenser
SgtAltek
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 11:33
Cleaning Water out of Graham Condenser

I need to distill some solution that absolutely cannot be exposed to water. Unfortunately, I have quite a bit of water left in my condenser coil from my last distillation. I've had it tilted upside down for the past 2 days, but the water is still in there, and I don't think it is going to evaporate any time soon. Any ideas on how to get it out?
A Halogenated Substance
Hazard to Self

Mood: Oxidizing due to extended exposure to oxygen

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 11:56

I've heard and read that dried chlorine gas is sometimes used to dry equipment. Perhaps you could make a chlorine generator with a drying tube and purge the condenser in a place really well ventilated?

Alternatively, if you don't want to bother with using chlorine, you could also try pouring some dry acetone down the condenser coil, having it carry the water down with it, then air dry the condenser.
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 11:57

You can blow air trough it using compressor.. Or put it in oven @ 130C+ for hour or more..

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 17:28

It depends on the reaction. If you're doing something that is truly water sensitive, then the water will never "evaporate" as quite a bit gets chemically bonded to the ends of the silica chains in the glass. To remove this water you need to bake the condenser in an oven for an hour or two. If the reaction is only mildly sensitive to water, a few quick rinses with acetone will get rid of all the water quickly; the acetone is much more volatile and can then be removed in a few minutes with a heat gun or a hair dryer.

PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 19:40

Yes, oven. A solvent like acetone, as gdflp says, though I mostly use methanol.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 13-3-2017 at 06:17

I first pour quite some acetone down the coil, then allow it to drip out of it. Next I pour a small amount of diethyl ether down the coil and finally, I use a small aquarium pump to blow some air through the coil, until there is no smell of ether anymore at the other end. This works even better if you put the small aquarium pump in a warm place (e.g. above a heating radiator) such that the air inlet takes warm air. I use the diethyl ether, also because of its very strong smell, allowing you to know that really all ether is gone and the coil is clean.

If you don't have diethyl ether, then acetone alone will do the job as well, but it takes longer to dry and its odour is weaker, so it is more difficult to dermine when really all acetone is gone.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top