Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gallons of nitromethane no longer on Amazon
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 17-3-2017 at 14:05
Gallons of nitromethane no longer on Amazon

I like nitromethane. It's a fun chemical to experiment with, and it's cheap enough that people can use it as a component of racing fuel. And I used to always be able to count on finding it on Amazon in gallon jugs, until today. Now, the best they have is 66% nitromethane or so. However, eBay, which in the last year has banned gallium while allowing the sale of phenyl-2-nitropropene + HgCl2, seems to be allowing its sale, at least temporarily:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190771480939 (5 gallons)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190692756364 (1 gallon)

Just a heads up in case anyone else didn't realize it had disappeared from Amazon.
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 17-3-2017 at 19:03

Hopefully they might be for sale again soon.....................

Anything over 30% nitromethane is now restricted in the EU.....................
Maybe that might have something to do with it, probably not though.................

Sales and sellers come and go l guess...................

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
Db33
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-3-2017 at 19:55

i was thinking the EXACT same thing today Melgar. Klotza used to also sell pure gallons of Nitromethane but those are gone and now its hard to find. Amazon used to be very trustworthy for Nitro.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 17-3-2017 at 22:21

Yeah, that's too bad, although I suspect it may have had something to do with the fact that when you clicked on it, it'd say that users who purchased it also expressed interest in sassafras products.

I suspect eBay is run almost entirely by computer programs, and the nitromethane that's on there now slipped through the cracks by referring to itself as "100% nitro", and then later on writing "nitro methane" rather than "nitromethane". The disclaimer at the bottom is also written in a way that's designed to scare people away who might have other uses for it, and probably to cover their asses as well.
Harristotle
Hazard to Others

Mood: I tink therefore I am

[*] posted on 18-3-2017 at 02:26

Ebay still sells gallium metal, at least in my view of it.

My only reason for not purchasing through them is my concern about shipping to my country, at least via airmail.

Argent Scientific can sell and ship in Australia, so I have purchased through them.

Why do you think ebay is blocking the sale of Ga - is it specific to your country?

Cheers,
H
adk
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-3-2017 at 13:58

Quote: Originally posted by Harristotle  
Ebay still sells gallium metal, at least in my view of it.

My only reason for not purchasing through them is my concern about shipping to my country, at least via airmail.

Argent Scientific can sell and ship in Australia, so I have purchased through them.

Why do you think ebay is blocking the sale of Ga - is it specific to your country?

Cheers,
H

I think eBay is blocking the sale of Gallium due to the risk during air transport. It is similar to Mercury in its ability to damage the Aluminium of planes, and is generally prohibited in passenger aircraft (most mail and a lot of air freight is sent in passenger aircraft). I guess a lot of it has been sent via the post (from China), and probably caused some problems along the way.
That said, there are sellers shipping Lithium and all kinds of other forbidden materials... :/

As for Nitromethane, it's still readily available in Australia from hobby/model supply stores. It is pretty dangerous from a flammability perspective and could also be used in the manufacture of drugs, but I think it's simply due to its potential use in bombs. (AN/Diesel and nitromethane)

[Edited on 19-3-2017 by adk]

https://www.argentscientific.com/
sales@argentscientific.com

Go To Top