Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Copper Electrolysis - using a Tyvek (or other) membrane to seperate and support copper?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 11:19
Copper Electrolysis - using a Tyvek (or other) membrane to seperate and support copper?

I've tried to make CuSO4 via electrolysis and have come up against some issues - one being that it seems the cathode and anode need to be fairly parallel to work properly, if they are uneven such as using a ball of wire, the closest part of the anode will bubble but the part further from the cathode seems not to react. If I'm using a 3" diameter ball of wire, only the closest 1" seems to react.

I have a good bit of small pieces of wire, up to about 1/2" long and up to 18 gauge. I was wondering if I did a vertical setup and made a membrane from tyvek (or fiberglass?)and placed the wire shred on that and either a layer on the bottom or a copper plate, if the process would work.

I've also seen that in the vertical setup, higher concentrations can be reached b/c the layers stratify.

I only suggested Tyvek b/c it was suggested in a chlor-alkali cell but now think something like fiberglass may be better as it allows for more electrolyte flow. Other suggestions of easily accessible materials would be helpful (must be able to withstand H2SO4).

Does anyone see a reason this wouldn't work?

Go To Top