Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: High temperature solders for glass-to-metal seals
tsathoggua1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorescent

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 12:36
High temperature solders for glass-to-metal seals

I seem to recall something about indium alloys being used for glass to metal solder. Anybody know what the highest temperature (roughly) is, or at least temperature range that can be obtained via soldering to glass?

(for mainly nickel and nickel alloys, also copper, and silver-to-glass (as a seal rather than just a mirror)

Can silver mirrored glass plated using Tollen's be soldered to?

Also, anybody know of solders that can stick to graphitic carbon at a range of 400 'C or so? Would take half that in a pinch, although that would require a fair bit more engineering the items I had in mind.

Edit-should mention it doesn't need especially to be indium, that was just what originally clued me in to the possibility, reading of the use of In based glass to metal soldering. Although doesn't the metal itself in the pure state have quite a low melting point, not sure about the solders.

Haven't got time to search in depth, since this isn't my computer I'm posting from.

[Edited on 7-4-2017 by tsathoggua1]
Heavy Walter
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 16:21

Hi
I work with a glassworker skilful in glasses and metal to glass seals.
Please be more specific.
Do you need to join metals to glasses?
I never seen graphite to glass seals.
Forget to solder silver deposits to anything. The deposit will oxydize/evaporate.
Typical unions are with some ferric alloys (kovar) or copper Housekeeper seal (see in youtube).
In case of needing only one glass to metal seal, the best is to buy it (see eBay or Larson electronic glass).
comment on your application.

Go To Top