Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to get rid of NOx
kaviaari
Hazard to Self

Mood: Going green

[*] posted on 31-12-2006 at 12:40
How to get rid of NOx

I am refluxing a mixture of cons. nitric acid and o-xylene to make o-toluic acid. I have a little problem here. The nitric acid is releasing NOx mostly NO2 I think. It is quite cold outside and the reaction time is quite long so I would really like to do this indoors. I have been searching form the forum and from the net but I just can't find a simple way to absorb or dissolve NO2 so it wouldn't contaminate the air. Any ideas?

And happy new year :)

[Edited on 31-12-2006 by kaviaari]

bereal511
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-12-2006 at 12:49

I don't remember where I read this, and someone should probably verify this for me, but I believe bubbling the NOx through a urea solution will absorb it.

And happy new year to you too.

[Edited on 31-12-2006 by bereal511]

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
-- Matt Cartmill
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 31-12-2006 at 13:29

or then bubble in a chilled basic solution in pipe or another useful bottle or container.. maybe dont work at all , but is also quite simple like urea which bereal511 just mentioned above ..
but the library here has a book of absorption of nitrous gases .. isn't for home experiments ( actually is a industrial production of nitrates,nitrites,HNO3,etc), but can just add a little help ...

also, happy new year to you :D

[Editado em 1-1-2007 por Aqua_Fortis_100%]

[Editado em 1-1-2007 por Aqua_Fortis_100%]

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."

Go To Top