Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: bottle bursting o-toluidine
dactyl
Unregistered

[*] posted on 13-4-2017 at 06:10
bottle bursting o-toluidine

Early this morning, I went to my garage and noticed a manure odor which I found odd.

I looked on the floor and found an upright bottle which I recall was placed on top of a bench. The spill was around the bottle in a circular distribution but more of the liquid was around the left side of the bottle. Putting paper on this spill resulted in absorbing a brown liquid which smelt like horse manure which is consistent with the o-toluidine. The cap was located a foot away and looked vastly deformed and shortened.

I will put photos of the cap and parts of the spill.

What types of impurities in o-toluidine might result in bursting out of bottles? The msds and chemicalbook.com suggest storage in a cool, well-ventilated place which is what I currently have.

IMG_9750.jpg - 300kB

IMG_4288 (1).jpg - 592kB
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 13-4-2017 at 06:33

Oxidation from storage under air probably kick-started polymerization, which releases hydrogen. It's a common problem with aryl amines, which is why they turn a nasty red/brown color on storage. IIRC toluidines are straw colored liquids when pure, not brown.

dactyl
Unregistered

[*] posted on 13-4-2017 at 06:47

Preparing o-toluidine from iron and HCl does result in a brown colored liquid if I recall.

Which makes me think during the exothermic reaction the polymerization starts.

Do zinc or tin oriented preparations undergo this?

If a put my o-toludine under -10 C can I prevent bursting and am I right to say that if my bottle has been openly exposed to air for hours the o-toluidine is very impure?

Thanks
Praxichys
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2017 at 08:43

I'm not sure about the Zn or Sn versions of the reaction, but I would pick the cheapest/highest yield out of those and focus more on cleaning up and stabilizing the product.

The customary purification method is to steam distill the toluidine from the reduction residues, then extract it with a low-boiling solvent. This extract is dried over K2CO3 (any non-acidic drying agent should work) and then distilled to recover the low-boiling solvent, and finally vacuum-distilled to collect the toluidine, freeing it from residual drying agent/polymerization products. The product will be very light in color and should store well.

After long-term storage, if discoloration occurs, redistill it (vacuum) over a small amount of zinc dust. The main storage concerns are to avoid high temperatures, exposure to light, exposure to oxygen, and especially to eliminate traces of any transition metals that may be present from the reduction.

More detailed versions of what I have described (and some alternatives) can be found under the "aniline" preparation from Vogel's Practical Organic Chemistry, 3rd Ed. from the ScienceMadness Library, and the following thread: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=7150

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 13-4-2017 at 09:38

I would think it takes a lot of pressure (several bar?) to burst a phenolic or even a polyethylene cap. I'm surprised that the H2 just didn't leak past the threads.

I going to place my aryl amines in a secondary container. Thanks for this post.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 13-4-2017 at 10:23

On a semi related note, would distilling commercial, brownish aniline under partial vacuum be an effective way to purify it, or would full vacuum be necessary to do any good?

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 13-4-2017 at 10:42

I've distilled aniline under a weak vacuum(~120torr) before and it cleaned it up quite nicely. Distilling over a little zinc dust helps as well.

Praxichys
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2017 at 11:49

I think any amount of vacuum is going to help. 200°C is pretty hot.

Vogel's aniline prep does not call for vacuum and instructs to collect product from 180 to 184°C, and this product is apparently of suitable purity. You might be able to get away with plain distillation of o-toluidine but I think the main issue will be tars in the still pot adhering fairly strongly after seeing more than 200°C.

Purification of Laboratory Chemicals (W.L.F. Armarego, 8th ed.) insists that it should be done under partial pressure of nitrogen. I doubt Vogel's method included modern analysis techniques, so the aniline was likely checked only by MP or something. It's hard to say how much purity there is to be gained this way.

Regardless, it can be assumed that an inert purge will help prevent oxidation at elevated temperatures, and reduced temperature (by reducing pressure) helps overall.

Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 13-4-2017 at 13:02

Steam-distilling toluidines with mildly alkaline water has always done me good; the distillate is always a light straw or peach color.
dactyl
Unregistered

[*] posted on 13-4-2017 at 16:52

Are the polymers responsible for the manure odor? Vogel is silent on that matter.
Niki0beas
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 21:02

How did this happen.

Go To Top