Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: RXN of Hg metal with ICl
tsathoggua1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorescent

[*] posted on 23-4-2017 at 02:09
RXN of Hg metal with ICl

Does anybody know if Hg (metallic) will react with ICl to form mercury (II) iodide/chloride or a mixture? or if treating the sulfate with the same reagent would give the intended product? Just need an Hg (II) salt for an amalgam type reduction (acidic) but the sulfate is not totally stable in an aqueous environment. Not sure if it can be used directly.
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 23-4-2017 at 06:01

That is very much work for a soluble mercury salt, why donĀ“t you dissolve it in HNO3 instead? That would be the most direct route to a soluble salt in my opinion.
Or if you lack the HNO3 I guess you could just add some nitrate salt to the Hg metal under a bit of HCl?
Of course it would be beneficial to bring the solution to a neutral pH for the intended use.
tsathoggua1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorescent

[*] posted on 23-4-2017 at 12:20

I have some HgCl2 on the way, but currently no nitrates or HNO3, although they will probably be on my next shopping list.

In the end I went with amalgamation with Hg (II) sulfate, using 54% HCOOH in place of GAA.

And why is the proposition of using ICl any more work than using HNO3? I already have it bottled up just waiting to find a use. For sure its nasty shit, nasty as hell, but then again so is corrosive sublimate.

In this case as expected the rxn is running fairly slowly but after external heating several times with a torch it finally got to the point of self-sustaining and successful amalgamation of the Al. Since the yellow color of the substrate has entirely disappeared, will try recovering reduced product, now the rxn has been running for over 9 hours.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
18-5-2017 at 08:44

Go To Top