Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Don't joke about movie "V for Vendetta"
ferrocene
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 5-1-2007 at 19:05
Don't joke about movie "V for Vendetta"

A couple of days ago, I was talking with a former colleague (chemist) whom I hadn't seen in a few years. He works for a rival small company.

I happened to mention the movie "V for Vendetta". I also mentioned some of the compounds "V" had loaded in the subway car.

Several hours later, the local police knocked at my door. As a friendly gesture, I allowed them to search my house and psychoanalyze me. I had to explain many pieces of equipment and bottles to them.

As I haven't heard back in 3 days, I assume that they agree that I am, indeed, mostly harmless.

Somehow, I doubt this person was motivated entirely out of a sense of concern for my safety or the safety of the community. I just hope the rumor mill sees him for what he is.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 20:29

I dont quite get it. Compounds 'V', what is that?
Whats a subway car?

You think because he's from a rival company he told the police on you?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 20:37

'V' was the name of the guy who takes down a fascist government in the movie.
A subway car is a underground train car. I think you guys call them 'tube' cars over there or something.

[Edited on 7-1-2007 by The_Davster]

ferrocene
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 22:01

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo
I dont quite get it. Compounds 'V', what is that?

As The_Davester said, "V" is the name of a character who fancies himself a post-modern Guy Fawkes.

Quote:
Whats a subway car?

Again, The_Davester to the rescue: Subway = Tube = Underground

Quote:
You think because he's from a rival company he told the police on you?

Not because he's from a rival company; rather he sees himself as a rival. We used to be friendly. Now, no. As to why he'd do such a thing, I have no reasonable explanation.

As for the compounds in question, I'm referring to PETN and AN, two of the energetic compounds clearly marked in the movie version.
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 23:25
"V"

A reference to chemicals seen in a fictitious movie spurs your so-called "friend" to call the
Gestapo ? What a FUCKING DICK ! The old saying really is true. With friends like that
who needs enemies ! In the past, during wartime, collaborators like that usally got
a neck-tieing pary - like they gave Saddam !

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
ferrocene
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 23:34

Yes, somehow I was perceived as wanting to blow up his company, as being despondent and as having a home laboratory with bubbling vats of nitric acid.

Of course, I could have told the police to come back with a warrant, but, given the charge (pun intended), you can bet they'd be back, and soon!

So now, I've got to pay my lawyer to find out what is in the police report, and to draft a letter to this person, properly addressing my outrage.
mrjeffy321
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 01:20

So when the cops showed up to do the search did they make a mess of things and turn the place inside-out, or was it a more casual affair where you just showed them your supplies and that was it? Were they normal cops or special police officers trained for chemical searches?
ferrocene
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 01:46

Three normal police officers. They did not seem to be particularly versed in chemistry.

All they did was look around, as far as I know. One of the officers had the job of occupying me so that I didn't go for any "weapons" -- you know, kitchen knives, sharp scissors, etc. The other two poked around, occasionally asking me about stuff.

The only time things got tense was when they saw my ::gasp:: hobby knife, which I'd been using to cut some balsa wood for a model airplane.
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 15:11

Quote:
Originally posted by MadHatter
A reference to chemicals seen in a fictitious movie spurs your so-called "friend" to call the
Gestapo ? What a FUCKING DICK ! The old saying really is true. With friends like that
who needs enemies ! In the past, during wartime, collaborators like that usally got
a neck-tieing pary - like they gave Saddam !

I quite agree...what a screaming asshole.....My God man...the shithead called the police for a discussion you had????? This is not a friend at all but an animal to do such a thing.
Unless, of course, you gave reason to make him believe that you would harm someone.
One must choose one's words carefully now-a-days but you say this friend is a chemist; he must have known that you wouldn't harm people. ---Sounds to me like the guy wanted to harm you!
Often people use the cops like a weapon. Soemone cuts them off on the street and they make a cell-phonec call and say that you are driving like a drunk and get you pulled over, etc, etc, etc.

Go To Top