Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: how do you decarboxylate heat sensitive carboxylic acid
cant think of a username
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 18:13
how do you decarboxylate heat sensitive carboxylic acid

hello, i was wondering how to decarboxylate heat sensitive carboxylic acid, since most decarboxylations use heat.
niacin --> pyridine + CO2
salycilic acid --> phenol + CO2
R-CO2Na + NaOH --> R-H + Na2CO3
so for a heat sensitive carboxylic acid like Sorbic acid that undergous a diels-alder reaction with it self at high temp how would you decarboxylate it.

diels alder.bmp - 460kB
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 18:21

You might try heating it with an excess of lime. Then again, that might not work....

clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 21:08

I actually think that at a high temperature, the reverse reaction predominates... this is certainly true of dicyclopentadiene, so why not 1,3-pentadiene? You may want to quench the vapors into a cold solvent so the product doesn't dimerize, but I suspect most of it will be produced in the trans- configuration anyway.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 18:22

That double bond adjacent to the carboxyl group is inevitably going to affect its reactivity, although I'm not sure exactly how. But you certainly can't use the set of reactions that result in an alkane, because that isn't what you'd have. Also, decarboxylation reactions typically involve free radicals, which tend to cause oligomerization in alkenes, so you'd probably have to look into catalytic reactions, but even then I'm not sure where you might start. If there is a solution out there, I doubt it's straightforward.
Vinylogous
Harmless

Mood: Vilsmeier-Haacking

[*] posted on 15-5-2017 at 08:27

User Magpie was able to decarboxylate niacin to pyridine at approximately the boiling point of pyridine (115°C).

I don't know of any off the top of my head but you could try searching for some sort of Diels-Alder suppressor - an "anti-catalyst" if you will. Perhaps something like this article (paywall)

Pentadiene boils at 42 °C, so if you were to mess around with the pressure of the system, you might be able to get the decarboxylated diene to evaporate out of the reaction solution and condense it before too much is consumed by DA.

[Edited on 15-5-2017 by Vinylogous]

Go To Top