Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Preventing corrosion and wear [stainless steel + steel alloys]
rothko
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-5-2017 at 04:57
Preventing corrosion and wear [stainless steel + steel alloys]

Hi guys,

for a school project, I am to come up with an innovative way to prevent corrosion, OR write an essay on an exisiting method on wear protection. I honestly have no clue how to find a new method to prevent that. That's asking a lot imo. So instead, I decided to write about already existing methods. Of course tempering and hardening came to my mind first. But I'm sure everyone in class will write about that. So I looked around a bit and heard of boronizing. Unfortunately, there's not much research material I can find. Can someone maybe point me to some helpful boronizing sources? Or help me find a topic with some more research material? I'd be forever grateful!!!
rothko
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-5-2017 at 22:59

Isn't there anyone that can help me? Please? I have found <a href="https://bortec.de/boronizing/?lang=en"> this website about boronizing</a> but unfortunately, it doesn't go into detail a lot about their special method of boronizing. I even looked around in their downloads section but there isn't a TON of information. At least not enough to write an essay. Can someone point me to more sources?
gdflp
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
22-5-2017 at 23:26
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-5-2017 at 01:29

I read your reference,
to me it seems that boronizing is for mechanical wear resistance,
not corrosion resistance.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 23-5-2017 at 03:42

Let's see if I can dredge up some old knowledge.
From my days at university we were taught that there are 8 different kinds of corrosion.
* general corrosion.
* pitting
* crevice corrosion
* galvanic corrosion
* stress corrosion cracking
* and dang, if I could remember the other three that would be great.

These are all different and are caused by different conditions. The truth is that an alloy or treatment that is resistant to one form of corrosion may be shocking in another situation. Aluminium performs exceptionally in most applications but is prone to pitting. Some stainless steels have brilliant performance but put them in a situation where there is cyclic loading and the synergetic effect of corrosion and crack propagation causes them to fall apart in no time.

Stainless steel is an extremely broad term. It simply means that there is 12% or greater of Cr in the alloy. But there could be a huge range of other elements: Mo, Ni, Ti, V, etc and varying amounts of carbon as well as a huge range of possible heat treatments.

Add to this you say you are interested in wear -- which is a surprisingly poorly understood phenomenon. (Or at least it was.) But we do know of a range of techniques that minimise wear -- principally good design and lubrication.

All in all, your question comes across as extremely broad. It really is hard to give a good answer. Not your fault. It seems like the assigned question is deliberately very broad. It may help to clarify with your teacher what is really required in this assignment. Alternatively, focus in on one application or alloy or situation and research the techniques that are used there.

There are a number of ways of preventing or minimising corrosion. (Maybe this is where the number 8 comes in.)
* do nothing -- simply replace when expired. (The example i remember was rail transportation of bulk concentrated sulfuric acid in mid steel containers. Surprisingly they last for years with little deterioration and it is more economical than attempting anything fancy.)
* surface coating -- typically paint or oil
* keep it clean
* galvanising
* sacrificial anode
* careful alloy selection (SS being the prime subset of suitable steels in many applications)
* anodizing
* nitriding

There -- that might be the eight I recall from a lecture 30 years ago.
Novel -- maybe not. But I would not be trying to reinvent the wheel or go way out into exotic applications for an assignment like this. (I am certain that someone is advocating graphene or nanoparticles for rust prevention. Bollocks to them.)
If it was me I would do a careful explanation of what happens when a piece of mild steel rusts and then explain how a coat of paint helps. I would then go into a bit of detail on what constitutes an effective paint. Keep it simple. Job done.

Go To Top