Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ordering glassware into Australia? Laws?
picketfence
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-1-2007 at 14:35
Ordering glassware into Australia? Laws?

Would importing glassware in to Australia result in confiscation?

Is possessing glassware an offence?

Because here you pretty much need to setup a company name with ABN to get glassware from most places - I don't know if this is a voluntary position by suppliers and distributers or not but it's annoying and expensive.

The angry posts in this forum regarding "chemistry phobia" is mopre advanced than it is in the US.
kiknet
Harmless

Mood: chargin

[*] posted on 15-1-2007 at 18:25

As far as I know there is no laws against glassware because when I bought it from a science and chemical supply business about 6 months ago I simply rang up and went down and picked it up with no worries the most I got was the lady saying "so you need this for school do you?" and stupid me said No for some reason but that didn't affect anything and it was a smooth transaction.
roamingnome
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-1-2007 at 19:19

exactly how expensive is it to get an ABN number and business papers...

i say this because the word market is absolutely geared to small business. its like the gates of paradise open up for you... simply becuase you have the plan to create jobs for the community...

if you dont want those pursuits im sure you can get whatever you need somehow, but working with the system you get so much farther... simply selling beach sand on ebay is a business...

being ready to tell the nice lady that you need this glass for saving koala bears by studying to toxic metabolites of eucalyptus digestion is good to have figured out as well....
picketfence
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-1-2007 at 04:11

OK CheerZ

I basically already knew the answers to the questionjs, I just felt it'd be better to ask since things may have changed recently due to the WOT bollocks and reading about all the complaints here regarding chemistry phobia.
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 17-1-2007 at 06:29

Quote:
Originally posted by kiknet
the most I got was the lady saying "so you need this for school do you?" and stupid me said No for some reason but that didn't affect anything and it was a smooth transaction.

People often TELL YOU WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR....when she said that she really WANTED you to say "Yes". I firmly believe that in this day & age people have certain conditioned traits that didn't exist decades back. People who buy chem-glasswear are either students or up to something suspicious, etc, etc.
My guess is that she wanted to hear you say "yes, it's for school...I would rather be spending my money on beer and mindless entertainment" - What a world we live in.....

Levi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-1-2007 at 08:57

Quote:
People often TELL YOU WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR....when she said that she really WANTED you to say "Yes".

Exactly. Plus, if he got busted for making narcotics or something like that she would have a good excuse for having sold him the equipment. I'm willing to bet there are a number apprehended dealers that are just itching to put the blame on someone else and a store owner that supplies such a criminal could be considered an accessory to the crime(s) if a prosecutor were able to prove that they knew what the equipment was for when they sold it.

[Edited on 27-1-2007 by Levi]

Chemcrime does not entail death. Chemcrime is death.
Ramiel
Vicious like a ferret

Mood: Semi-demented

[*] posted on 27-1-2007 at 09:54

I also ran into a number of companies who had a voluntary policy of not selling glassware to people not in a business. A number of the more high-profile companies simply cannot afford to bother with individuals because their orders are too small, and no repeat sales generally. I found a few medium scale suppliers with excellent range, who shall remain nameless (U2U me if you like). All it took was for me to say “well no, I'm a Uni student studying chem” (approaching them in person with a collared shirt makes a big difference here! ;)
Once I had placed a few orders, they got to know me okay (To say you have an account with them makes ordering a <u>lot</u> easier) I ordered a few federally restricted pieces of glassware <i>e.g.</i> three necked flasks.
Hope you get all your late Christmas presents!
- Ramiel

Caveat Orator

Go To Top