Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What happened?
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

mad.gif posted on 4-6-2017 at 14:08
What happened?

I've been trying to make Copper (I) Chloride for the past few years now and it's never worked.
I've tried:
Sodium metabisulfite - nothing; crap
Sulfur dioxide - not only is it incredibly inefficient for me to make it, nothing results
CuCl2 + Cu metal - takes way too long and doesn't produce any product.
So I tried Oxalic acid, because it's on a list of common reducing agents. Mine is pure, and in the Dihydrate form. I dissolved it in water to make a saturated solution and prepared a syringe full of highly concentrated CuCl2 solution in water with residual HCl. I then added a drop of the chloride solution to the Oxalic acid solution which yielded for a short time, a fine white precipitate of what seemed to be CuCl. I then got excited and added all of it at once, which produced a baby blue, extremely fine precipitate. I thought that the blue was from just extra dissolved CuCl2, so I ran,to go filter it. It wasn't just some residual CuCl2. It was the precipitate. It goes right through the filter - TWO actually - and it's also extremely possible that it's CuC2O4. I'M REALLY GETTING FED UP WITH THIS.
What's a commonly available, easy to buy, simple to find reducing agent? Please, help a brother out here. I'm losing hope with this one!

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 14:11

Ascorbic acid.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 14:19

When I was dissolving copper into hydrochloric acid with H2O2, the solution would get dark and opaque when it ran out of chloride ions, meaning I had to add more HCl, which would turn it back to transparent green. Adding H2O2 would just release oxygen if I tried that. If this wasn't Cu(I)Cl, what was it? I assumed that the CuCl2 was oxidizing Cu metal, which was acting as the reducing agent, but I take it it's not that easy?

[Edited on 6/4/17 by Melgar]
Geocachmaster
Hazard to Others

Mood: Corroded, just like my spatulas

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 16:31

I have a book with a few ways on how to prepare cuprous chloride (solution). One uses copper sulfate, sodium chloride, sodium bisulfite, and sodium hydroxide. Another uses copper (II) chloride, hydrochloric acid, and copper metal. If you want later I can post the procedures here or send it to you, right now I'm supposed to be doing homework. ;)

From Unitized Experiments in Organic Chemistry (fourth edition), experiment 55, page 368.
UC235
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 17:33

Download Brauer (Handbook of Preparative Inorganic Chemistry) from the forum library, pg 1005. Several preparations are available through orgsyn as part of Sandmeyer reactions.

I don't have specifics, but I have in the past had success with sodium metabisulfite reduction of concentrated cupric sulfate in the presence of excess sodium chloride. Pouring the solution on ice is seemingly needed for decent yield. Keep volumes as small as possible, it is somewhat soluble in water (presumably through complex formation). The still-wet product is exceptionally prone to oxidation and needs to be dried as quickly as possible.
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 17:59

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Ascorbic acid.

Forgot to add that worked likely the worst. I wasted over 100 grams for nothing.

Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 18:03

I also forgot to add that I would love to know where to get Sodium Bisulfite that isn't a wine maker's shop or whatnot, because there's nothing like that anywhere around here.

ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 20:29

You could prepare sodium bisulfite by bubbling sulfur dioxide gas into a saturated solution of sodium carbonate.

Na2CO3 + 2 SO2 + H2O => 2 NaHSO3 + CO2

Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 20:51

42 g of copper(II) chloride are dissolved in 100 ml of hot water containing 32 g metallic copper (granulated or turnings). 200 ml of hydrochloric acid (d=1.175g/ml) is added and the reaction mixture is boiled gently under reflux until the solution becomes colorless. During an experiment additionally a small amount of concentrated hydrochloric acid is added to ensure that solution becomes colorless. This operation lasts one to two hours and when is complete the colorless solution is decanted from the metallic copper into a cylinder filled with cold distilled water. The dilution with water decomposes H3CuCl4 complex and cheesy precipitated copper(I) chloride is allowed to settle, decanted immediately, quickly filtered, washed with alcohol, ether, and dried in a vacuum desiccator. Copper(I) chloride forms heavy white masses, insoluble in water, and oxidizes easily in the air yielding green oxidized product.

Laboratory manual of inorganic preparations, by H. T. Vulte, 73-74, 1895
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 01:22

Treatment of Copper(I) chloride with sodium hydroxide solution will convert it to the oxide.
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 08:43

Quote: Originally posted by ninhydric1  
You could prepare sodium bisulfite by bubbling sulfur dioxide gas into a saturated solution of sodium carbonate.

Na2CO3 + 2 SO2 + H2O => 2 NaHSO3 + CO2

What I said may have been missed, but I don't have an efficient way to generate SO2.

Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 08:46

Quote: Originally posted by Waffles SS  
42 g of copper(II) chloride are dissolved in 100 ml of hot water containing 32 g metallic copper (granulated or turnings). 200 ml of hydrochloric acid (d=1.175g/ml) is added and the reaction mixture is boiled gently under reflux until the solution becomes colorless. During an experiment additionally a small amount of concentrated hydrochloric acid is added to ensure that solution becomes colorless. This operation lasts one to two hours and when is complete the colorless solution is decanted from the metallic copper into a cylinder filled with cold distilled water. The dilution with water decomposes H3CuCl4 complex and cheesy precipitated copper(I) chloride is allowed to settle, decanted immediately, quickly filtered, washed with alcohol, ether, and dried in a vacuum desiccator. Copper(I) chloride forms heavy white masses, insoluble in water, and oxidizes easily in the air yielding green oxidized product.

While I don't have much time to do that, I don't either have a generously available source of pure copper metal. I make my CuCl2 from Cu Carbonate and HCl.

Thanks for all of the help, btw guys!

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 08:55

Quote: Originally posted by Tetra  
Ascorbic acid.

Forgot to add that worked likely the worst. I wasted over 100 grams for nothing.
Did you use NaCl as a source of chloride ions? Cause if not then nothing will happen. Check out the SM wiki page. Chemistry doesn't just decide to work for some people and not for others. If a reaction that should work doesn't work for you, clearly you're doing something wrong.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Copper(I)_chloride

ELRIC
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 09:16

Quote: Originally posted by Waffles SS  

While I don't have much time to do that, I don't either have a generously available source of pure copper metal. I make my CuCl2 from Cu Carbonate and HCl.

Thanks for all of the help, btw guys!

Do you live anywhere near new residential construction?

That's how I get my copper, from the scrap wire the electricians leave laying around

Might want to ask the contractor first though
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 12:25

Looking at the Wiki page CuCl, it states the folllowing:

Quote:

Copper(I) chloride can also be prepared by reducing copper(II) chloride, e.g. with sulfur dioxide:

2 CuCl2 + SO2 + 2 H2O → 2 CuCl + H2SO4 + 2 HCl

Many other reducing agents can be used.

In another thread about making Cu2O there was talk about using monosaccharide sugars as a reducing agent (glucose & fructose - honey is a good source, all monosaccharides I believe and also molasses will work which is a 2:1:1 sucrose:glucose:fructose - as well as one thing that mentioned sugar invert which is table sugar mixed with something like citric acid to break down into glucose/fructose). Could the sugar be used to replace the SO2 in the above equation

On another note, I was playing with some CuSO4 crystals and 12.5% NaClO. The two were mixed (about 4g of CuSO4 x 5H2O & 30ml NaClO). The reaction was instant and started bubbling pretty furiously while emitting some SO2 (and possibly a slight amount of Cl2). The mixture turned an aqua-green.

Here is what it looked like during the reaction and after it settled. I'm curious as to whether it has formed CuCl, CuCl2 or Cu(OH)2. It looks like all of them can have the same color in various solutions (if mixed with other compounds)so it is difficult to determine ATM.

CuSO4 + NaOCl.jpg - 66kB CuSO4 + NaOCl_2.jpg - 143kB
CuSO4 + NaOCl_3.jpg - 48kB
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 12:41

Well, the green indicates copper chloride; the copper probably just catalyzed the hypochlorite decomposition into oxygen and chloride. The pale green stuff is probably just a mix of sodium sulfate (white), copper hydroxide (light blue), copper carbonate, (light green) and copper chloride (green). SO2 and Cl2 production was probably insignificant, and the bubbles would have been primarily oxygen.

OP could possibly try using copper as a reducing agent, since that would be the easiest of all of them to purify. It might take a while though.

edit: Oh. Right, that was just suggested. It seems really odd to not be able to find copper though. Don't old scraps of wire exist pretty much everywhere? And the same with electronics that are broken beyond repair? The metal in electrical wires is always quite high purity, since pure metals tend to conduct electricity best.

[Edited on 6/5/17 by Melgar]
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 05:08

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
Well, the green indicates copper chloride; the copper probably just catalyzed the hypochlorite decomposition into oxygen and chloride. The pale green stuff is probably just a mix of sodium sulfate (white), copper hydroxide (light blue), copper carbonate, (light green) and copper chloride (green). SO2 and Cl2 production was probably insignificant, and the bubbles would have been primarily oxygen.

OP could possibly try using copper as a reducing agent, since that would be the easiest of all of them to purify. It might take a while though.

edit: Oh. Right, that was just suggested. It seems really odd to not be able to find copper though. Don't old scraps of wire exist pretty much everywhere? And the same with electronics that are broken beyond repair? The metal in electrical wires is always quite high purity, since pure metals tend to conduct electricity best.

Where'd the Carbonate come from, lol

Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 05:10

Ascorbic acid.

Did you use NaCl as a source of chloride ions? Cause if not then nothing will happen. Check out the SM wiki page. Chemistry doesn't just decide to work for some people and not for others. If a reaction that should work doesn't work for you, clearly you're doing something wrong.

Nope, I used the reaction of Copper (II) Carbonate and HCl. It gave a dark green solution, as expected albeit a small amount of light green precipitate which settled on the flask bottom.

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 08:35

Ascorbic acid.

Nope, I used the reaction of Copper (II) Carbonate and HCl. It gave a dark green solution, as expected albeit a small amount of light green precipitate which settled on the flask bottom.
I don't think you understood my post. The NaCl is necessary in the reduction using ascorbic acid. How you produced your copper(II) chloride is irrelevant. Read the wiki page that I linked, please, that's what it's there for.

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 09:15

Bleach pretty much always has a small amount of sodium carbonate in it, from CO2 from the air or otherwise. It wouldn't be much, but there's always going to be at least a little, unless you got it from Sigma Aldrich or something.
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-6-2017 at 13:31

Bleach pretty much always has a small amount of sodium carbonate in it, from CO2 from the air or otherwise. It wouldn't be much, but there's always going to be at least a little, unless you got it from Sigma Aldrich or something.

Huh, interesting!
Makes sense now :]

Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-6-2017 at 13:33

Ascorbic acid.

I don't think you understood my post. The NaCl is necessary in the reduction using ascorbic acid. How you produced your copper(II) chloride is irrelevant. Read the wiki page that I linked, please, that's what it's there for.

Gotcha, gotcha!
Thanks, buddy. I'll take a look now. Just misunderstood what ya said.

Lotilko
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 11:34

I've had the same problems with copper (I) chloride. I have dissolved copper wire in H2O2/HCl. It is the cheapest and most convenient method if one doesn't mind chlorine and a boiling soution of HCl/H2O2.

Anyways, after dissolving all of the copper, the solution becomes very dark green possibly by the formation of complex ions, and then lightens to an emerald green color as it cools. Then the ascorbic acid solution is added, and the green color chages to a clear, with a tinge of brown/green. I found it odd at first that the copper (I) chloride does not precipitate immediately, but I figured that adding a large amount of water precipitates it out. The white precipitate should be immediately filterrd and dried. I dried mine by putting it in an oven for 15-20 mins at 210 Celsius. It dries to produce a brownnish green mass, that can be easily broken. After breaking it up became an almost white, yellowish-green powder. I had no problem dissolving it in ammonia though.

It certainly isn'tthe purest, but the most simple way to make it. Also, copper (I) chloride made by the above method should not be stored form mor than 3 weeks. It completely decomposes to copper (II) chloride even when stored in an air tight container.

Hope this helps!

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 16:35

You can make copper (ii) chloride from HCl, H2O2, and copper with little if any chlorine gas formation, as long as you only add a very small amount of H2O2 initially. Cl2 can combine with Cl- to form Cl3-, much like iodine and bromine can. As the metal chloride level increases, the solution is able to dissolve much more chlorine this way, and you can add higher levels of peroxide accordingly.

Interestingly, the solution gradually takes on a mild, slightly pleasant smell, which are not words that are normally associated with compounds composed of chlorine, oxygen, and hydrogen. My only theory is that copper and nickel (which does the same thing) can catalyze the formation of chloric or perchloric acid, which imparts the smell. In that case, those species would have to be removed or decomposed in order to not have them oxidize your copper (I) salt.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!

Go To Top