Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What have I done -> Blue Cyanamide test
Daffodile
Hazard to Others

Mood: Riding eternal

[*] posted on 6-7-2017 at 17:28
What have I done -> Blue Cyanamide test

Alrighty so I just did a batch of Calcium Cyanurate, of which I separated into two portions. The first, I heated until red hot, about 900 degrees C I would estimate. The second was heated to a bright orange or yellow, which I'd estimate around 1200 degrees. The photo is of this portion during cooldown. For Cyanamide test, I dissolved some cyanamide in HCl, and added to it a solution of potassium nitrate, silver nitrate, and ammonia. The first solution bubbled vigorously, producing a vapour (H2CN2?) And turned a nice yellow with the silver nitrate solution. The second portion barley bubbled, and produced a deep blue solution with the addition of the Silver Nitrate. My question is; what was made during the second portion? Please help.

IMG_20170706_155439.jpg - 468kBIMG_20170706_181915.jpg - 423kB
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 17-7-2017 at 04:41

My best guess is nitrosyl cyanide (O=N-CN), because it's blue and because we're pretty sure there are CN groups there to form it. That blue color is usually indicative of a nitroso compound.

I figured after this long with no responses, even a guess would be better than nothing. :)

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!

Go To Top