Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to make an iridiscence dye or varnish?
Onesiton
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 02:20
How to make an iridiscence dye or varnish?

The iridescence of a material is due to the fact that the surface of that material generates optical interferences to the reflected light.
For example a thin layer of soapy water has iridescence (this is best seen in bubbles).

As I have read, this effect can also occur because there are different semi-transparent layers of microscopic thickness, of different refractive indices (diffraction iridescence).
For example, a thin film of diesel over water can generate iridescent diffraction.

In basis all this, I'm trying to make a iridescent dye, treatment or varnish based on household materials.

Can someone help me?

Edit: I would like to obtain a transparent dye, treatment or varnish.

[Edited on 3-8-2017 by Onesiton]
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 03:55

I do not know about household goods... but in the industry you can now get pearlescent pigments which help impart iridescence to a paints appearance. They are ground up bits of pearlescent rocks I think.

I am guessing that it was the motor industry that first started to use metallic iridescent paints. That was the first time I saw them in use anyway.

Sorry that this won't help you make an iridescent varnish out of home materials.... maybe you could grind up some oyster shells in a mortar and pestle or something? That might work.

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
Onesiton
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 04:21

Better than a pearlescent dye, what I want to achieve is a transparent substance that possesses iridescence, or at least a dye that can difract to any of the colours of the rainbow.

DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 05:42

What if you had a very small amount of the pigment in a transparent coating... might work...

...Or have several coats of it, each one of slightly different RI or with a slightly different loading of the pigment... most in the first layers and less in the top layer?

Maybe I am clutching at straws... just thinking aloud really.

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 6-8-2017 at 14:25

Quote: Originally posted by Onesiton  
Better than a pearlescent dye, what I want to achieve is a transparent substance that possesses iridescence, or at least a dye that can difract to any of the colours of the rainbow.

To do that, you need to have it be very thin then, on the order of magnitude of hundreds of nanometers, to correspond with the approximate wavelength of visible light. Since that's very hard to achieve with traditional coating methods, in a form that will stay attached, it's usually done with pearlescent pigments, which are usually made from a form of silica similar to what's found in opals.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!

Go To Top