Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Copper(II) Hydrogen Arsenite Synthesis
Mothman
Harmless

Mood: Aminated

[*] posted on 26-9-2017 at 11:24
Copper(II) Hydrogen Arsenite Synthesis

I recently learned about a chemical pigment that is commonly known as Scheele's Green, and I would like to synthesize it in it's "pure" form, which is Copper Hydrogen Arsenite according to Wikipedia. According to Wikipedia this can be done using Sodium Carbonate, Copper(II) Sulfate, and Arsenious trioxide. The problem is that Wikipedia does not clearly outline a reaction or molar ratios, and it says later on in the article that the pigment produced is actually a mixture of various copper arsenites, which is not what I want to produce. There seems to be very little literature regarding the production of this pigment, and nothing in-depth that I could find. I wish to produce Copper(II) Hydrogen Arsenite, in it's pure form, and I cannot find a way to do it. I did some brainstorming and came up with an equation which balances algebraically but I do not know enough about chemistry to predict whether or not it would work.
This is what I came up with:
Na3AsO3+CuSO4+NaHSO4------>CuHAsO3+2Na2SO4
Does anyone here have any clue as to the viability of this reaction? Any help would be much appreciated. Arsenious Oxide and sodium hydroxide would be where I got the Trisodium Arsenite but Arsenious Oxide is exceptionally expensive...I would like to figure out if this would work before I drop 100 USD for this chemical...
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 27-9-2017 at 09:58

The article on wikipedia usually lack that sort of depth. Do not except to find any depth or procedures their. Fortunately the sources at the bottom of the page are usually high quality. Well the wikipedia authors may make mistakes the source material rarely does.

I am unfamiliar with arsenic chemistry but if you have the correct equipment, safety equipment, and a general idea of what you are doing just go for it. Just ensure that you can handle any sort of accident (gas, fire, splashing, spills...ect). As always please post pictures of your work so it may be documented here for other users!

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Mothman
Harmless

Mood: Aminated

[*] posted on 27-9-2017 at 12:58

So upon further research into sodium arsenite, I found that a mixture of sodium meta-arsenite (NaAsO2) and sodium ortho-arsenite (Na3AsO3) were produced during the synthesis of Scheele's green...this would explain why the reactions explained on Wikipedia were not balancing...so now I just need to figure out how I would make pure sodium ortho-arsenite, which should be as simple as adjusting the ingredient levels in theory but I do not know much about arsenic chemistry, which is why I got confused and came here in the first place...
I will do extensive research into safety precautions, arsenic is a world renowned poison after all, but if the safety precautions are too expensive I will abandon the project if there are no safe ways to cut costs. I will post results when or if I ever have them but this will take careful preparation and I came here to see if you guys might know anything about whether or not the process would even work before I tried anything myself...Again, any help is much appreciated, I would specifically like to know whether or not the reaction Na3AsO3+CuSO4+NaHSO4---->CuHAsO3+2Na2SO4 is even possible OR how I could go about predicting this myself, either works but I am sure that people are familiar with the saying "give a man a fish and he will eat for a day..." so if possible post links to tutorials regarding how to predict reactions so I can do this myself in the future, Thank you!

Go To Top