Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Extraction of compounds of the kratom plant
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 14:09
Extraction of compounds of the kratom plant

I hope this is allowed on here the properties of the kratom plant so mitragynine is one of the compounds in the plant and determining the functional groups is confusing especially the opened benzine ring in what it looks like methoxyl groups and either functional groups I dont recognize

I have done an extraction with ethanol aka standardized vodka
Obtained a yellow brown liquid

The extraction after was interesting with 50% isopropanol alcohol
I obtained a green solution

What should I expect in these solutions
For the ethanol
My guess is mitragynine and hydroxy7mitragynine
Because of the methoxy groups

For the isopropanol
Chlorophyll

From what I understand its the functional groups which determine its soubility

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 15:37

There is surely research on this subject that you can read in peer-reviewed journals. I'm guessing that salts of mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine are much more soluble in water than the freebases. Maybe dissolve the tincture in toluene or hexane or something, distill off the ethanol, and try extracting with tartaric acid solution?

Edit: This is still legal in most places I think, but kratom has been outlawed in a few places, and while the public seems to be against outlawing kratom for now, it might be outlawed more widely in the future. The jury is still out.

[Edited on 8-10-2017 by JJay]

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 16:18

Its a long story, but i am pretty sure in the Uk Kratom was a major ingredient in 'spice' which until recently was sold as a 'legal high'. it has since been banned in the UK.

I am not into drugs, but I am interested in plant extracts (mainly scents and dyes). I dont take sides with stuff like drugs, its not for me, but each to there own.

Anyway back to the subject.....

I found a paper and it would appear methanol can be used for extraction. i have attached it here, hopefully this isnt breaking any rules, if it is then please delete the file.

The paper isnt specifically on extraction, but does mention it in the method and gives a break down of the plant constituents.

As a side note, i am surprised the plant isnt more widely banned. Seems to be pretty potent stuff.

The extraction bit says this

"The optimum extraction conditions for mitragynine and 7-OH-mitragynine from the raw materials and the products were investigated using product No. 4 (Table 1) as a typical sample. To choose an extraction solvent and an ultrasonication time, the product sample was extracted with methanol, ethanol, or acetonitrile by ultrasonication for 1, 3, or 6 h. Extraction was most effective when the sample was extracted with methanol by ultrasonication for 1 h and kept at room temperature overnight, as shown in Figs. 3 and 4. Moreover, to deter- mine the most suitable concentration of methanol, the sample was also extracted with various concentrations of methanol in water. An 80% methanol aqueous solution showed the most effective extraction of two compounds, especially for 7-OH-mitragynine (Fig. 5). Mitragynine and 7-OH-mitragynine were stable in the 80% methanol aqueous solution at least for the duration of the extraction procedure. More than 95% of each compound remained in the solution throughout the procedure.

Attachment: kikurahanajiri2009.pdf (443kB)
This file has been downloaded 584 times

[Edited on 8-10-2017 by NEMO-Chemistry]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2017 at 22:06

If kratom kills people, it will most assuredly be banned. Some people think it is useful for treating opiate addiction. If it isn't causing a lot of problems and arguably has some benefits, the DEA won't be in a rush to ban it.

symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 02:01

It actually has more uses such as replacement of adhd medication helps in cognitive performance. Antidepressant and pro-motivation agent and a pain reliever. I did not understand why it was going to be banned marijuana and alcohol impaires the body much worse than a stomach ache from too much. Thats what I understand from the compound.

[Edited on 8-10-2017 by symboom]

[Edited on 8-10-2017 by symboom]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 09:42

I'm not sure if HPLC equipment is actually required or if you could do the chromatographic separation with simpler equipment like columns, TLC plates or blotter paper. Most amateurs aren't set up for HPLC.

VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 17:36

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
If kratom kills people, it will most assuredly be banned. Some people think it is useful for treating opiate addiction. If it isn't causing a lot of problems and arguably has some benefits, the DEA won't be in a rush to ban it.

There are many substances that do kill are not banned and vise versa. For example look no further than the legal status of tobacco compared to Marijuana or LSD. Most legislation in the West takes cultural attitudes as reason enough rather than the science. Consider the images attached and the legal status of each.

download.png - 390kB

[Edited on 9-10-2017 by VSEPR_VOID]

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 18:13

The vast majority of the substances on that chart have been banned for decades. Tobacco likely will be banned eventually. Alcohol would be banned, but it has been a part of human societies for millennia.

The chemistry of kratom is a topic of current interest whether kratom is dangerous and deadly or a miracle cure.

Edit: I'm seeing very little information on whether O-desmethyltramadol can be easily separated by TLC. It appears that most researchers don't attempt it or if they do don't discuss it in their published findings.

Also, the placement on the chart of a lot of things is arbitrary or poorly explained. Cigarettes are more addictive than heroin. For that matter, I think that methamphetamine is more addictive than heroin. Alcohol kills more people than everything else on the chart combined. And heroin, while it is certainly bad for you, isn't actually that harmful aside from the overdoses, cost of addiction, infections and so forth.

[Edited on 9-10-2017 by JJay]

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 19:45

from the paper i posted again

For successful chromatographic separation of standard
solutions of the five compounds (mitragynine, 7-OHmitragynine, speciogynine, speciociliatine, and paynantheine) and betamethasone (IS), the stationary phases
from different column manufacturers were tested. The
best result was obtained with an Atlantis dC18 column,
which is a difunctionally bonded and silica-based
reversed-phase HPLC column. With PDA detection
(monitored at 254 nm), a relatively good separation was
confirmed in 40 min when a gradient elution with 10 mM
ammonium formate (pH 3.5) and methanol was adopted
for the analytical column.

Would it be reasonable to assume a reverse phase TLC plate (maybe one the whatmann ones) would do the same job of separation? If so then maybe you could use some the stationary phase from some plates in a column, or buy a cheap ebay column for a hplc and use that..

Most of what i put i have worded badly, but hopefully you will get the gist of what i mean.
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2017 at 06:19

Here is the results

red_goo
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-10-2017 at 14:39

I found a paper about mitragynine extraction from kratom

Abstract:
The objective of the present study was to develop a simple and cost effective method for the isolation of mitragynine from Mitragyna speciosa Korth leaves. The results of our study showed that around 0.088 % (w/w) pure mitragynine was obtained by this newly developed method with a purity of 99.0 % (w/w) based on GC-MS analysis. Moreover, the recovery of the pure mitragynine from the chloroform extract was also more than 95.0 %. Advantages of this new method were simpler, faster and more economical. In conclusion this simple and cost effective method helps to isolate mitragynine with higher purity in comparison with the published methods.

Link to Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences http://www.ukm.my/mjas/mjas2017/
PDF link, also attached: http://www.ukm.my/mjas/v15_n1/Goh.pdf

Attachment: Mitragynine extraction (Kratom).pdf (282kB)
This file has been downloaded 410 times

Go To Top