Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Phase transfer catalyst request?
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-10-2017 at 18:55
Phase transfer catalyst request?

Hello it's been awhile since I have posted anything, I am breaking my silence now to request aid in acquiring some PTC's of the tetrabutylammonium. variety. Ideally I would like the iodide or bromide however I'd be happy with any at reasonable price. Typically I don't have issues with acquisition my suppliers carry most of what I require and what they don't I can usually prepare myself. I would like to find someone in Canada who could spare some and or point me in the right direction. I don't like buying reagents cross border so a Canadian would be appreciated. I hope I've not broken any rules with the post, if I have sorry, I'm no longer well versed in the newer posting rules. No offense meant.

Also feel free to u2u.
Best regards,
Issac
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-10-2017 at 19:36

Tetrabutyl ammonium bromide and bisulfate among other salts are available on Amazon. Not cheap but convenient.

AvB
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 16-10-2017 at 06:40

If you have n-butanol, it's easy enough to get n-bromobutane, and from there it's just a matter of adding to ammonia and potassium carbonate until it loses any amine smell. It doesn't dissolve well in aqueous solutions that contain a lot of potassium or carbonate, but dissolves very well in n-butanol, so you can extract with that.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2017 at 07:09

Thank you for your replies I did look at Amazon however I have recently found ordering from .com is near impossible when one resides in Canada. With regards to preparing the PTC's myself I would like to avoid it I do however appreciate the suggestion. I have yet to source 100gr.+ for a resonable price but am currently very hopeful.

Regards.

Go To Top