Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Separating phthalic acid isomers
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 30-12-2017 at 13:59

So the pH adjustment did nothing, worked perfectly, or did not work, or simply was not attempted ?

There are far too many of these kind of things on SM these days.

Either you're ACTUALLY doing an experiment or you're not.

clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 30-12-2017 at 15:26

According to this patent:

http://www.google.tm/patents/US2801271

O-xylene and m-xylene are tert-butylated by isobutylene in the presence of acids, whereas p-xylene is not, probably due to the lack of an unhindered position on p-xylene. It should be possible to take advantage of this in a "wet" process using e.g. pinene or another 1,1-disubstituted alkene which is liquid at stp. If the goal is to obtain p-xylene, you're done at this point.

Then o-phthalic acid may be separated from m-phthalic acid by production of the anhydride, correct? Or maybe not?

[Edited on 30-12-2017 by clearly_not_atara]

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2017 at 15:50

Does anyone know how much o-xylene is actually contained in commercial solvent xylene (e.g. Klean Strip)?

mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 31-12-2017 at 00:39

@Aga; I am attempting this experiment as i said my last attempt was hydrolysing m xylene sulphonic acid under reflux and yes i added hcl to my previous attempt but nothing happened. Do i have to add it to this one too and reflux again? Or add more sulph acid to 50% cause now its strength is something around 12.26%. Now my goal is to get phthalic acid and M xylene in pure form because i want to use it in lidocaine synthesis. I dont need p xylene in any form because i dont know what to do with this.
@JJay; i think its m xylene- 60% o xylene- 20% p xylene- 20% in chemical grade but as solvent in Poland o xylene is 0.6% so too small to do do anything. I think thats because it is most worth isomer. You can go to builder shop and check msds of any xylene solvent you have there.

[Edited on 31-12-2017 by mackolol]

[Edited on 31-12-2017 by mackolol]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-12-2017 at 01:02

The Klean Strip SDS doesn't really say: http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/documents/GXY24_SDS-LL44.p...

Is there a better one somewhere?

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top