Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Acetylacetonates?
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 20:23
Acetylacetonates?

I am really interested in making some slightly unusual Cobalt salts. One that has popped up is Cobalt Acetylacetonate. I didnt find much that makes this very easy, so far i am thinking of this route...

2 CoCO3 + 6 Hacac + H2O2 → 2 Co(acac)3 + 4 H2O + 2 CO2

So the first question is, seeing as i am in the UK, 12% hydrogen peroxide is about as high as I can get. Will this be strong enough for the oxidation?

For the Acetylacetonate i am looking at....

NaOEt + EtO2CCH3 + CH3C(O)CH3 → NaCH3C(O)CHC(O)CH3 +
2 EtOH

NaCH3C(O)CHC(O)CH3 + HCl → CH3C(O)CH2C(O)CH3 + NaCl

Or is there a better route?

Also i would love to have a go at doing a Nickel one!

[Edited on 8-12-2017 by NEMO-Chemistry]
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 8-12-2017 at 06:07

Quote: Originally posted by NEMO-Chemistry  
I am really interested in making some slightly unusual Cobalt salts. One that has popped up is Cobalt Acetylacetonate. I didnt find much that makes this very easy, so far i am thinking of this route...

2 CoCO3 + 6 Hacac + H2O2 → 2 Co(acac)3 + 4 H2O + 2 CO2

So the first question is, seeing as i am in the UK, 12% hydrogen peroxide is about as high as I can get. Will this be strong enough for the oxidation?

For the Acetylacetonate i am looking at....

NaOEt + EtO2CCH3 + CH3C(O)CH3 → NaCH3C(O)CHC(O)CH3 +
2 EtOH

NaCH3C(O)CHC(O)CH3 + HCl → CH3C(O)CH2C(O)CH3 + NaCl

Or is there a better route?

Also i would love to have a go at doing a Nickel one!

[Edited on 8-12-2017 by NEMO-Chemistry]

I love the look of Acetylacetonates, I've just never made any. Random Experiments International has a good video on Fe(acac)3.

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-12-2017 at 06:32

great i will take a look. have a look at Cobalt Acetylacetonate
http://onyxmet.com/?route=product/product&path=69_93_270...
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 8-12-2017 at 07:31

I recall posting a procedure here for doping a porous ceramic matrix with (cheaper!) non platinoid catalysts?

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2329

The Cobalt version seems applicable-

Attachment: Lab-Manual-Metal-acetylacetonate-Complexes-web-1.pdf (2.6MB)
This file has been downloaded 599 times

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-12-2017 at 07:51

So am i correct in thinking this can be done with Cobalt2+ and 3+?

That would be cool. 2+ looks much less darker, but hard to tell.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 8-12-2017 at 22:56

The PDF I uploaded has instructions for Co3+, have not seen anything on +2, but haven't looked, because-

I got side tracked into the Cu ACAC, wondered if it was possibly a blue flame colorant and fuel in one? YES. There are European patents on this, used with ammonium perchlorate for blue stars, bound with alcohol & shellac or lactose and water.

Copper benzoate melts before decomposing/burning. This is usually less desirable in an organic pyrotechnic fuel than decomposing/burning without melting- Which is how the Cu ACAC behaves. I think I need to get/make some...

There WAS a brief mention of this compound having an awful smell? And I do wonder how impact and friction sensitive star mixtures made with this would be.

(Edit) Hold on, I remember from March- A guy from Lacroix feu d'artifice in France who was sitting next to me at the conference in Omagari, this came up and he said they tried it for commercial use, but had to quit using it due to workers refusing to handle it because of the smell. Described as "odor of vinegar, squared but even worse than that sounds".

(2nd edit) I believe there is some spectrum information in the seminar book, showing Copper benzoate and ACAC relative to eachother. The benzoate came in 2nd place. Will look for that.

(3rd edit) just for fun, how 'bout Sr ACAC oxidized by Strontium perchlorate...
And ditto for the Barium compound and Barium perchlorate.

Found posts by Mumbles and Rosco discussing both the Cu and the Co ACAV as a whistle catalyst, 6-7 years back, on another forum too.

Attachment: EP0252803A1.pdf (362kB)
This file has been downloaded 230 times

[

[Edited on 9-12-2017 by Bert]

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 06:28

Interesting stuff, a bit more searching has dug up more info on procedures. Mainly on gel growing it....

Pyro isnt something i mess with, i am not even sure on the rules here anymore. I think they have downgraded the types of fireworks you can buy as well. I noticed this year it was mainly large 100 shot+ fireworks on sale. Very few 'box's' of fireworks with a selection in.

I think pyro here is something that could get you in a world of bad trouble. I would love to try a few things out, but even owning perchlorates seems a bad idea here. Hell you now need two licenses if you want to buy and use weed killers!.
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 07:35

It is easier in many parts of USA. I have a federal license to manufacture, and another to import.

If you want to find out, and stay out of jail in England?

I would suggest you contact Kimbolton Fireworks

[Edited on 9-12-2017 by Bert]

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 07:46

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
It is easier in many parts of USA. I have a federal license to manufacture, and another to import.

If you want to find out, and stay out of jail in England?

I would suggest you contact Kimbolton fireworks.

Thx I will give them a call. I assumed as most oxidizers are now off limits, there isnt much you can do at home.

The rules changed in the last year or two on fireworks, i am pretty sure they even cut what you could buy to use at home. Nothing they have done in the name of anti terror, will stop it.

The favored weapon here is running a car into people or knives.

What did surprise me was finding out that we can make and own a very small amount of black powder!

For some reason Kimbolton Fireworks rings a bell with me, I wonder if they been in the news recently for doing a display or something. I was aware we still had manufacturers here in the UK!
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-12-2017 at 09:00

The Reverand Ron Lancaster was the founder of Kimbolton, starting when he was a chemistry teacher at Kimbolton school. He also wrote one of the several books I had when starting out on fireworks chemistry and techniques.

He seems to enjoy teaching...

Yes, you probably have heard of the company. Olympics, London eye New Years Eve, royal weddings and such.

Go To Top