Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: L Lysine hydrochloride to lysine
Radium212
Hazard to Self

Mood: Pyrophoric.

[*] posted on 16-12-2017 at 05:02
L Lysine hydrochloride to lysine

Anyone know how one might convert L lysine hydrochloride to lysine? Perhaps reacting with sodium hydroxide to produce sodium chloride and lysine?
Might this work?
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 16-12-2017 at 09:14

Water solubility is 1.5 kg per liter, which makes that plan prohibitive. Ion exchange resin columns are often used to separate amino acids like this, but I don't have any experience doing it myself.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
EilOr
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-12-2017 at 05:23

Lysine*HCl is 1.5kg/l, isoelectric lysine 300g/L so in water should work if you're working in concentrated solutions, I don't see why it shouldn't work using equimolar amounts of NaOH to saturated lysine*HCl solution, though it's not the route I would recommend, as it's lossy unless you're doing many hours of workup&recristalliation

EtOH or better MeOH might be a much better alternative to water as NaOH is solouble, Lysine*HCl should be well solouble (741g/l in MeOH, 180g/l in 99% EtOH), Lysine should be quite well solouble aswell, while NaCl isnt (~1.3% in pure MeOH, in EtOH even much less)
So using equimolar masses of NaOH and Lysine*HCl should yield prcp. of NaCl and keep lysine in the alcohol

[Edited on 17-12-2017 by EilOr]
Radium212
Hazard to Self

Mood: Pyrophoric.

[*] posted on 17-12-2017 at 07:34

Quote: Originally posted by EilOr  
Lysine*HCl is 1.5kg/l, isoelectric lysine 300g/L so in water should work if you're working in concentrated solutions, I don't see why it shouldn't work using equimolar amounts of NaOH to saturated lysine*HCl solution, though it's not the route I would recommend, as it's lossy unless you're doing many hours of workup&recristalliation

EtOH or better MeOH might be a much better alternative to water as NaOH is solouble, Lysine*HCl should be well solouble (741g/l in MeOH, 180g/l in 99% EtOH), Lysine should be quite well solouble aswell, while NaCl isnt (~1.3% in pure MeOH, in EtOH even much less)

So using equimolar masses of NaOH and Lysine*HCl should yield prcp. of NaCl and keep lysine in the alcohol

[Edited on 17-12-2017 by EilOr]

I was thinking along those lines, thanks!

Go To Top