Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Positive Pressure filtering?
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 14-2-2007 at 03:03
Positive Pressure filtering?

I don`t have a vacuum pump or even a simple aspirator, but I do have an air pump that`s infinately variable from 0 to 2L of a air per minute.

currently all filtration is done in funnels and purely gravity driven, sometime this can take the best part of a day just to clear 250ml.

using 2 identical funnels one set up as normal and the other with an air feed at the base and placing one over the other (vaseline to form a rough seal) this time can be reduced dramaticaly.

the idea seems so simple, and yet I`ve never encountered it before, so I`m thinking that perhaps I`m missing something in way of drawbacks as to Why it`s not used regularly.

the only thing in way of complaint I`ve found with such a system as opposed to the Vacuum type is that you can only add a finite amount of liquid at a time before breaking the seal and having to top it back up again.

and that seems a little trivial as a reason not to use this set up.

what am I missing ?

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
Aurum
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-2-2007 at 05:56

I would guess it's because with a vacuum you can never get more than 1 bar pressure difference. With compressed air the pressure difference could be as high as the compressor is capable of and cause an explosion.
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-2-2007 at 09:30

I think it's both the increased difficulty of adding further liquid, including for washing, and the tendency of the pieces to pop apart from the pressure.

I've used it for clarifying, where there is only a small amount of solids to be removed, by pumping the air into a carboy with the solution in it, and having the solution be forced out another tube and through an inline fritted filter. I had to wire all the connection really tight, as they tended to slide apart otherwise.

Go To Top