Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Filter for drying air before vacuum (converted compressor)
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2018 at 16:53
Filter for drying air before vacuum (converted compressor)

So I'm making a filter to dry any air or catch any water coming through the vacuum line as I get paranoid when running it. I have a number of options and IDK if I should try a combination of things or if it doesn't matter. There is plenty of room in the filter to place a few compounds (seperated via thing membrane).

Anhydrous CaCl2
Anhydrous CuSO4
Anhydrous MgSO4
KOH (new, dry as possible)
NaOH (new, very dry)
Silica gel (the kitty litter type..) (dried at 350F)

IDK if acidic or basic fumes can pass over with the moisture but that is why I included hydroxides and sulfates. My original thoughts were CaCl2 and Silica gel for moisture absorption only.

Any suggestions on what is needed or what would work well (kind of concerned about the silica gel absorbing water from air..).

Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 21-1-2018 at 17:09

Activated alumina is used in the compressed air industry to dry inline air. It is available by the 2000lb sack......!!!

'Activated alumina' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_alumina

'Activated Alumina Desiccant' - https://www.deltaadsorbents.com/activated-alumina-desiccant

'Activated Alumina Desiccant - eCompressedair' - http://www.ecompressedair.com/desiccant/activated-alumina.as...

'The industry-standard activated alumina desiccant is used extensively in compressed air dryers. Our activated alumina desiccant can be regenerated to its original adsorption capacity by purging with hot gas at 350° to 600° F. Activated alumina is for use in both heated desiccant air dryers and heatless / pressure swing compressed air dryers. Dewpoints of -100° F can be achieved depending on dryer design and operating conditions.

Activated alumina is an excellent all purpose desiccant for drying compressed air and most other gases with air dryers.'

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 21-1-2018 at 18:20

I believe 3A mol sieves are used in the auto industry to remove moisture from refrigerants. They should work for your application too.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
happyfooddance
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-1-2018 at 21:04

KOH works great and has the benefit of the fact that you can tell if it is spent by looking at it.

Go To Top