Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Heating knob on hotplate doesn't "click" into the on position anymore, just slides and doesn't heat?
Sidmadra
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 07:56
Heating knob on hotplate doesn't "click" into the on position anymore, just slides and doesn't heat?

I had this happen before years ago to a cheap hotplate and because it was used and cheap I had just gave it away and didn't bother with it. This recently happened again to a rather nice analog hotplate I've only owned for about a year.

It was working 10 minutes before, both stir knob and heat knob have an audible "click" when turned on to the lowest setting. I unplugged the device and brought it to a different outlet, and when I tried to turn it back on, only the stirrer "clicks on" and works. The heating knob doesn't click or produce any heat; it slides back and forth to no effect.

This seems to be a reoccurring issue with hotplates. Do I need to replace the knob or something? Is it a fuse issue? I know heating elements themselves don't break that easily.
highpower48
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 08:30

Sounds like the potentiometer w/switch (rheostat) is bad. Pretty easy to replace just take apart and see what size potentiometer you need make sure to order one with a switch. Also make sure you replace using the right legs on the pot.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 09:07

could be just the knob on the pot, but as above in the worse case its a simple variable resistor switch.
Anyone who has ever used a soldering iron, should be able to replace it for you.

MAKE SURE its not just the knob!!! a bad knob on a new switch wont work, also if its the switch check this way.

Pull the knob off, small pair pliers or fingers if you can, and gently turn the switch the correct way. If its the switch then before drastic action, try some contact switch cleaner, take the case off and spray any part of the switch you can find, spray down the shoft the knob came off, leave 24 hours and spray again, then leave 3 hours. if it hasnt freed up......

Buy new pot for it, make sure you get the right type and resistance value. gut feeling its the knob

actually gut feeling says your going to find a grub screw or hex screw on the knob that is loose on the switch shaft

IF all that fails.......

goto energetic s section for new and interesting ways to wiggle the shaft lol. No i am not serious, this is not my serious face
[Edited on 7-2-2018 by NEMO-Chemistry]

[Edited on 7-2-2018 by NEMO-Chemistry]

Go To Top