Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Idea for Breaksafe Reagent Bottles
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 17-2-2018 at 00:36
Idea for Breaksafe Reagent Bottles

I had an idea to create break safe amber bottles. In a similar way to powder coating perhaps a bottle can be baked in a hot oven, gradually increasing the temp to avoid thermal shock and breaking them and once at 200-250c the bottles are then dipped into powdered HDPE plastic. Not sure if it would work to stop breakage entirely but it would keep the bottle together long enough to pick it up intact to save its contents. Obviously this is no substitute for care in the lab but accidents happen and perhaps the inevitable spill and broken glass could be avoided.
What are your thoughts? Do you think it could work?
I have a few of these and I may try it in the near future.

C2631F3C-B0E1-4B59-A3E3-6DF120EDEFAF.jpeg - 1.9MB

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-2-2018 at 01:10

Tool dipping can be done at room temperature.

Phlogiston manufacturer/supplier.

For all your phlogiston needs.
Reboot
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-2-2018 at 12:57

The most hard-core solution I've seen is Parr hydrogenator bottles, which can be ordered wrapped with fiberglass. They claim it will contain the contents even after a bottle explodes under pressure. :-)

I suspect commercial coated bottles are usually polyurethane coated. If you wanted to experiment you might try a water-based polyurethane (sold in bulk for finishing wood, or even in spray cans.)

If you want something thicker (and don't mind if it's opaque) tool dips like Plasti Dip should do the trick.
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2018 at 17:38

Perhaps you could vacuum shrink a hot empty PET soda bottle on to the glass one. You would need to cut the top of the pet bottle off to get the glass one in.

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2018 at 18:40

2 part epoxy dipped? There is also the 2 part resins/ureathanes which might be a good idea. I would think that it might be better to etch the surface first or maybe bead blast it to get a roughened surface so the stuff sticks. Doing the blasting quickly doesn't really damage or remove much material at all.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2018 at 08:34

You can buy the plastic sealed bottle pretty cheaply, so while I do like the ideas, most tool dips are pricey, so might be cheaper to just buy some plastic coated bottles. I still have a few 100 ml amber ones for bromine, acids, etc from Qorpak, they are only $3 apiece. If anyone wants larger ones, I could look for some.
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2018 at 08:38

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
You can buy the plastic sealed bottle pretty cheaply, so while I do like the ideas, most tool dips are pricey, so might be cheaper to just buy some plastic coated bottles. I still have a few 100 ml amber ones for bromine, acids, etc from Qorpak, they are only $3 apiece. If anyone wants larger ones, I could look for some.

Where on earth are you finding safety coated bottles that cheaply!? I have never seen any less than 10$ and regardless of size they usually are sold for 30$ each.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2018 at 18:06

I got these with some surplus glassware, but I have seen them cheap occasionally on Ebay. I still have about a dozen left for $3 each plus postage. I had some 500 ml, but sold them all here a while back. If you buy the boxes in bulk from Qorpak, you can sometimes get a good price, but need to get a bunch. I did that years ago for work, and got a great deal. Sometimes it just depends on luck to find a good deal. I have bought a few things on Ebay for ludicrous low amounts, but most things are much higher there.

Go To Top