Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Apologies
bazonix
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-6-2003 at 14:36
Apologies

Hello.

I am not a chemist, though I am interested in science. I would like to know if this forum is for non-mainstream scientists, for people who challenge the orthodoxy...

What do people make of the current state of cosmology? Quantum physics, string theory, the latest developments in relativity? What of grand unified theory? Is it possible and where does chemistry come into it all?

Thank you in expectation.

try out:

www.spacemag.co.uk

its got some stuff. A lot of stuff.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 26-6-2003 at 19:34
The universe does things.

You'll drive yourself batty trying to figure it out. It's worse than a woman.

Woman:
"Does this make me look fat?"
"No, of course not."
"Come on, tell me what you really think."
"You don't look fat."
"Are you sure it doesn't make me look fat? Be really honest."
"Okay, it does make you look a little chubby."
"You think I'm ugly!"

Universe:
"I'm composed of at least 4 dimensions, maybe 11 or more, but most of them you can't see. You'll just have to trust me when I say they're there. My laws make sense except when you try to apply them on a really small scale or a really large scale or at really high speeds. You can try to box me in with quantum mechanics at one end and general relativity at the other, but - SURPRISE - you won't even be able to derive methane's heat of formation from first principles. Also, do my thighs look bigger to you? I was hoping the red shift would hide it."

If you have some unorthodox theory that works out, I'm all ears. Your theory should of course be able to account for existing observations at least as well as orthodox theories and in addition lead to (and jibe with) testable predictions that existing theory doesn't. If your theory can't make and match with verifiable predictions, it's worthless. It's as bad as psychology, phrenology, or computer science.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

smile.gif posted on 13-10-2003 at 03:36

I 200% agree with this vision of science and the de absurdi demonstrandi by Polverone.
:) :D ;)
Wel said!

Ph Z

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)

Go To Top