Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Drying isopropyl Alcohol (91% IPA) - will CuSO4 or MgSO4 work?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2018 at 16:16
Drying isopropyl Alcohol (91% IPA) - will CuSO4 or MgSO4 work?

With the success of drying the ethanol using anhydrous CuSO4, I was wondering if it could also be used to dry IPA in the same manner. I've read over a few threads on this board and the question has been posed a few times but has gone unanswered (using CuSO4). I've tried to find solubility of it in IPA online and haven't found any answers.

Wiki states that the pentahydrate is slightly soluble in Methanol (~10g/L) and the hydrate is insoluble in ethanol and acetone. So, would anhydrous CuSO4 be likely to be soluble in IPA in any degree?

I'm also curious about MgSO4 and think that this has been suggested in the past but the problem with this is that it has no color change which is the nice thing about CuSO4.

I also don't know how to measure the concentration of IPA. I do have a glass hydrometer that measures proof of ethanol, IDK if that can be used in a similar way just using a different scale than ethanol.

IPA density is .786g/ml
EtOH density is .7893g/ml
Methanol density is .792g/ml

I would think that these being so close that the scale would be pretty similar but I'm not sure if I'm missing something here on how it works.

Go To Top