Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electrolytic rxn apparatus for dummies
nightflight
Hazard to Self

Mood: pyrophoric

smile.gif posted on 29-3-2007 at 04:41
Electrolytic rxn apparatus for dummies

Hello,

I wanted to create a electrolytic rxn-vessel but a few questions remain open, so to see what I´ve come across so far is this:

There´re 2 compartements, the anode is in one that is separeted form the fluid in the kathode comp. via a porous
material, so that the electrolytic fluids are apart but the electrons and protones are allowed to penetrate through the pores.(could I say ionophores then;) )

I´m not sure where the H+ and e- will go; H+ is generated at the kathode, right, and will go to substrate and/or anode?

So why two compartements and what would be a convenient, easily attainable materials for the electrodes and which one would be best for hydrogenation rxns, reductions?

Could a car-battery recharger be used for the AV-supply, or is this too inexact?

How robust are rxn carried out to the incompetence of the operator?

I´m sorry, but I need sometomes writing down the Qs and sometimes, I´m stuck with the most simple things in a complex problem or very unsure about it, so confirmation is greatly appreciated!:cool:

Links appreciated, too!
nightflight
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 29-3-2007 at 12:00

Reduction occurs at the cathode, that means electrons are acquired by a given species (the cathode, having a - charge, has an abundance of electrons that it can donate).

In other words, H+ wouldn't be formed at the cathode, because that involves loss of electrons instead of gain.

The cathode is where reduction of H+ to H2 gas would take place, for example.

Conversely, oxygen gas can be formed at the anode, because loss of electrons is needed to create neutral oxygen from oxide and hydroxide. Oxidation occurs at the anode.

"How robust are rxn carried out to the incompetence of the operator?"

I'm not too clear on what you mean by this, but let's just say operator incompetence could lead to a bad situation. Stay with electrolysis of water (perhaps with a little sodium sulfate for conductivity) until you are comfortable with the principles of electrolysis.
roamingnome
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-3-2007 at 13:11

lets put it this way.

some groups are saying that putting hydrogen into the air intake of diesel engines improves milage or at least emissions... ok i can buy that.

more questionable is useing the alternator while driving to make the stuff....

foolishly i set up a burly cell in a PVC tube. Testing the cell with a match produced a startling bang....

ok so while driving down the road the tube started melting and smoking.... i paniced and pulled over to diconnect the cell.... locking the parking brake too soon and spinning an inner tube in one back tire. had to drive 80 some miles on a flat....

so go ahead and run some juice.... but watch out for hot acid with explosive gas mix, im quite lucky that i didnt win any darwin awards... so now i chill out more....
nightflight
Hazard to Self

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 29-3-2007 at 13:51

Thanks I´ve found a thread that addresses nicely to my issue, but I see, that at the moment I´m not very intersted in really building it and with ads or a kind of autism in me, I can´t think myself into it, without having done what´s on my mind at the moment.

Go To Top