dann2
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 16:47
In Nitrate, Zirconyl Oxy Nitrate

Hello Folks,

I was going to attempt the following.
US Pat H544 at the bottom

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Campus/5361/chlorate/...

Needed is:

In(NO3)3

Co(NO3)2

Zn(NO3)2

ZrO(NO3)2

I can purchase In, Co. and Zr, and Zn metal on ebay

I have lots of Zinc Sulphate, Cobalt Sulphate, Nitric acid,
common nitrates etc

Where do I start.
Can I make the In(NO3)3 by simply adding In metal to nitric acid?

Can the Co(NO3)2 be made from Cobalt Sulphate (have lots) and some other common nitrates (eg. ammonium nitrate) or do I need a nitrate that is of a different valency state.

Where do I start with the ZrO(NO3)2 ????????

My chem. is not too hot.

TIA,

Dann2
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 16:58

You can produce cobalt and zinc nitrates by first reacting the sulfate with sodium carbonate producing the metal carbonate as a precipitate. The insoluble carbonates are then filtered out and reacted with nitric acid making the metal nitrate in solution.
Cobalt nitrate is very hygroscopic, and if you need it crystalline you cannot do this by evaporating a solution of the aqueous nitrate.

Metal carbonates can also be heated with ammonium nitrate to leave the metal nitrate.

not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 19:57

Indium will react with nitric acid, but you need to crystallise the nitrate from a strongly acid solution to prevent hydrolysis. So you'll have to use an excess of acid, and evaporate to isolate the nitrate. The nitrate is very soluble.

Zirconium is worse. Dissolve in aqua regia, add more HNO3 and evaporate to fuming, repeat HNO3/fume a number of times, crystallise from strongly acid solution. You may be able to start with ZrOCl2 rather than the metal, just fume it down with HNO3 repeatedly.

As already suggested, it's better to go through a carbonate than reacting the metal an HNO3.

I'll see if I can get more information on those nitrates, the books I have on In and Zr are mostly concerned with the metals and their alloys, and their physical and nuclear properties rather than their chemistry.

[Edited on 2-4-2007 by not_important]

Go To Top