Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 'zones' in tube furnaces?
coppercone
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 14:45
'zones' in tube furnaces?

I also want to make a tube furnace (see my other thread about furnaces), but it is a more specialized peice of equipment so I would like to get my 'oven' type furnace ready first, but anyway I am curious:

I see they sell between 2-4 zones, with more available with custom order.

What is the purpose of 'zones' in tube furnaces? Can you give examples of reactions that require zones?

I would like to at least in my head begin to design a nice tube furnace (one that opens up and stuff), but I wanted some kind of reference material and anecdotes to read about more complicated reactions that require thermal zones.

I have used simple tube furnaces before (heated with flame) for continuous reactions, but anyway...
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 15:09

The first thing that comes to my mind is hydrothermal growth, which requires a hot zone and a room-temperature 'cold' one. Really, any reaction that relies on 'isolation' or 'distillation' could more or less boil down to that concept. As for multiple hot zones, I'm unsure. Perhaps different gradients of heat for semiconductor manufacture?

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
coppercone
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 08:12

Also what temperature range is good for a tube furnace?

Are there alot of reactions that require temperatures greater then 1200C? It looks like past this point you would need to go to some kind of custom layed Molybednium Disilicide elements.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
27-11-2023 at 12:16

Go To Top