Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sticky thread about gloves ?
Vanry
Harmless

Mood: covalent

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 10:12
Sticky thread about gloves ?

Hi all !

I was searching for what type of gloves to use with benzene, phenol, and methanol (while wondering if it could be fun to burn some nitrile one with nitric acid) and it popped to my mind:
Can we all/someone make a sticky post listing common products and what type of gloves to use and avoid ? It could help keep everybody safer.

My contribution stop there as I don’t really know much on the subject (<70 nitric acid = bare hand rather than nitrile gloves, otherwise nitrile. that’s all I know) and because I don’t got a reliable idea of the topic visual presentation. It’s just an idea thrown there :) (and very probably in the wrong section, don’t hesitate to move the thread ^^*)

Thanks for reading, and let me know what you think if this idea and what you know about this subject ;)
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 10:24

There are plenty of compatibility charts online; here's one of the first that came up when I googled it. It has 167 chemicals paired against 9 glove types. I have a similar one printed out in my lab.

Attachment: Ansell_8thEditionChemicalResistanceGuide.pdf (545kB)
This file has been downloaded 278 times

Vanry
Harmless

Mood: covalent

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 10:45

Okay :(
Guess I’ll UTFSE more before posting next time. Anyway thank for this chart !
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 12:28

Still better than a thread about sticky gloves.
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 10:16

Are there any gloves that go on easy when your hands are wet? I have yet to find a brand or type that do have a hard time being put on when I just washed my hands or am sweaty.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Justin Blaise
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-5-2018 at 20:43

I use baby powder when trying to get gloves on if my hands are sweaty. It can be a nightmare otherwise.
Reboot
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 04:53

As a general rule of thumb, gloves are much more effective against polar compounds (salts, acid/base solutions, etc.) than they are against non-polars (solvents, halogenated organics, etc.)

Gloves shouldn't be thought of as an absolute barrier. In many cases they only slow down the rate of absorption, so if you spill something very toxic on your hand, it's a good practice to dispose of the gloves, wash, and put on a new pair (unless you're certain that the particular glove/reagent combination is safe.)

If you're dealing with something extreme, "barrier gloves" are a big step up from traditional light 'surgical' style gloves in resistance:

http://www.ansell.com/en-US/Products/barrier-02-100

Unfortunately they're not nearly as good for grip/dexterity, and cost a lot more. If a project requires something like that, you might not want to do it in a hobby lab. :-)

[Edited on 12-5-2018 by Reboot]

Go To Top