Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Connecting condenser tubing to a faucet?
Carbon8
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 14:14
Connecting condenser tubing to a faucet?

I bought the distillation kit linked below and I want to connect the condenser tubing (6mm inner diameter) to a standard (outside-threaded, 55/64") American kitchen faucet. I know I can buy an aquarium water pump to do the job, but I'd like to see if there's an easy way to use the faucet. Any ideas?

https://www.amazon.com/Deschem-Distillation-Apparatus-Chemis...
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 14:22

They make adapters that can be used to connect a standard American kitchen faucet to a garden hose. Other adapters can connect a garden hose to standard plumbing, and from there you can easily connect hose barbs and whatnot. Home Depot or Lowes should have the necessary parts.

Carbon8
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 17:32

Thanks JJay, I'll check out my HomeDepot's plumbing section.
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 21:33

You should also be able to slip the water line into a short length (0.5-1ft) of hose and clamp the two using a screw-up ring type hose clamp, if you can’t find the right adapter. That’s what we have at work for the compressed air sprayers.

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 04:59

I don't wish to insult, but if you haven't used one before then you should know to attach the hose to the lower of the pipes on the condenser and have the exiting water come out of the top nozzle. This way you can have the water slowly fill the condenser and trickle through at any speed you set the tap to. You can't control the flow when it is attached from the top and the condenser won't fill perfectly either. It wastes less water and gives a better thermal connection to the glass as it moves through slowly and touches every part of the glass. .

As I said - you probably know this anyway.

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 05:25

Based on my own mistakes - test your cooling water system before setting up heating etc.

This is because occasionally a cooling water tube can come loose,
spraying water EXACTLY where you do not want it.
Everything from your main supply to your flow regulator is under pressure hence likely to 'burst'
Everything after your water flow regulation device (valve/tap/clamp/knot) is at lower pressure,
but a quick pinch of the water outlet pipe from your condenser will reveal any weaknesses.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 06:58

....and clamp everything. Clamp the outflow hose so it is held nicely over the drainage hole of your sink... Changes to water pressure can cause the hose to move or change position (shouldn't happen, but can and does) and if it isn't clamped it can move and end up spraying the water out of the sink onto the floor, which is bad if you have wandered off and left it to run for a few hours by itself.

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 09:24

Oh yep, we used to have that problem quite frequently in OC practical classes.. Always kept a paper towel roll around, but I quickly learned to tie the outlet tube around the tap to keep it in place, or if I had a shorter bit, weighed it down with a retort clamp.

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
Carbon8
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 17:15

Thanks everybody! I'm going to buy a water pump instead of trying to finagle a connection to the faucet.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2018 at 01:00

Good choice.

I used to take water directly from the tap,
my water usage is un-metered so It is a viable solution,
but it seems 'wrong' to leave a tap running for hours.

For my own reasons I wanted a constant fixed flow of water,
the pressure variations at my tap made that difficult,
so I ran a pvc tube from an upstairs toilet cistern to my condensers,
this gave almost constant pressure,
at the cost of inconvenience and the sight of the tubing.

Now I use a small aquarium pump for recirculating water.
Re-circulated water will of course heat up, so ice and/or other cooling methods are required.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur

Go To Top